Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Picking a car with 10-11k

Options
  • 30-09-2009 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I've got about €10k, €11k max to spend on a car. I've got my heart set on an audi a4 since I took one for a test drive. I've driven a 03 SE and a 04 s-line both 130bhp 1.9 TDI. I loved both of them but, unfortunately, I can only get finance for a post-05 car. The problem is, I can't find a 05 a4 for under €11k. I drove a 1.9TDI 05 passat(€10,600), which is practically an a4, but I found it was a little too big and was rather under powered. I found a 05 a3 sportback within my price range but its 1.6 petrol which I'm not too crazy about as I'd prefer a TDI. I'm also not a fan of hatch backs. I've looked at pretty much every car for my budget but the A4 still comes out on top!

I know it's possible to go to the uk and bring one back for under €11k incl. VRT but as well as the bank's condition of the car being no older than 05, it also has to be purchased in Ireland. I've looked for people importing cars but most just pick up and deliver the car, rather than sourcing it and selling it.

If anyone has a suggestion or advice on where i could get a 05 a4 for less than €11k I'd be happy to hear it! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

How do the bank know the car is Irish or not, do you have to provide the reg details before they give you the cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

If you wait until 2010 they probable drop a bit lower. other than that they are hard to come across at that price

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Before somebody else suggests that you'd find a nice Skoda Octavia for that price, allow me to suggest that you'd find a nice Skoda Octavia for that price :)

A quick look on driving.ie/carzone show plenty of 2005 and 2006 ones for around that price range, not many of the 130hp variant mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Johanlon

Carstuck wrote: »
    If you wait until 2010 they probable drop a bit lower. other than that they are hard to come across at that price

I need one in the next couple of weeks! My parents own the car I'm driving now and they just gave it to me temporarily until i get a car sorted. Thanks for commenting anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 KF:)

If the passat is to big try a 2006 jetta tdi, a remap should give you enough power and it will be in budget.

• Advertisement

stevenmu wrote: »
    Before somebody else suggests that you'd find a nice Skoda Octavia for that price, allow me to suggest that you'd find a nice Skoda Octavia for that price :)

A quick look on driving.ie/carzone show plenty of 2005 and 2006 ones for around that price range, not many of the 130hp variant mind.

I've looked at skodas aswell, but the only model which I would consider buying is the Octavia RS and the cheapest i can find one of those is around €14,000. Logical suggestion though! one which i would most likely give if our positions were switched!

How do the bank know the car is Irish or not, do you have to provide the reg details before they give you the cash?

Yeah, all of the details have to be given. As you could imagine, the bank are rather fussy about what their money is spent on these days.

KF:) wrote: »
    If the passat is to big try a 2006 jetta tdi, a remap should give you enough power and it will be in budget.

I hate Jettas! thanks for the suggestion though.

And yes i realise how unrealistic and fussy I'm being here so thanks to all for your contributions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

• Registered Users Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭positron

WTF? No one suggested an 2.2 Accord yet? :eek: :D

OP, have you considered Honda Accords? 2.0 petrol or 2.2 diesel - great cars, loads of toys, and Honda reliability etc.

positron wrote: »
    WTF? No one suggested an 2.2 Accord yet? :eek: :D

OP, have you considered Honda Accords? 2.0 petrol or 2.2 diesel - great cars, loads of toys, and Honda reliability etc.

I was actually trying to buy an accord before, but the tax on the diesel too expensive for me. Similarly, i wouldn't be able to afford a 2 litre petrol in terms of fuel and insurance. Thanks for the suggestion all the same!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Skoda superb would be easily within range. Loads of 06 models for your budget. Good car, same engine as the A4, much more room, less common!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭positron

Johanlon wrote: »
    I was actually trying to buy an accord before, but the tax on the diesel too expensive for me. Similarly, i wouldn't be able to afford a 2 litre petrol in terms of fuel and insurance. Thanks for the suggestion all the same!

Cool. Not contradicting you, but the difference between a 1.9 and 2.2 ltr is about 200 euro a year - you could probably save that / more on fuel with the higher MPG you would get from the Honda 2.2 CTDI compared to Audi 1.9 TDI. This is before considering the money saved in the initial purchase price and higher spec you get with Honda! :)

Just a few thoughts, but Audi's are nice cars too..!

positron wrote: »
    Cool. Not contradicting you, but the difference between a 1.9 and 2.2 ltr is about 200 euro a year - you could probably save that / more on fuel with the higher MPG you would get from the Honda 2.2 CTDI compared to Audi 1.9 TDI. This is before considering the money saved in the initial purchase price and higher spec you get with Honda! :)

Just a few thoughts, but Audi's are nice cars too..!

I've actually started looking into honda accords again but they appear still to be out of my price range. At least one with decent mileage and a diesel engine. They are an excellent car though....

Advertisement