Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Linux Code Editor

Options
  • 30-09-2009 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

I know, I know not another one of these threads :rolleyes:

I am doing some stuff under Linux, where I have Ubuntu running in a Virtual Machine with 768MB RAM available to the VM instance. Inside that I'm booting in to a fully fledged Ubuntu GUI and all is grand and happy.

I downloaded Bluefish and have been toying with it, but the project/file management side of it isn't that great. Of course it could be me, but it just isn't impressing me.

There seems to be plenty of good editors out there, but what I'm looking for is this...
    • Syntax Highlighting
    • File/Project Management
    • Multi-tab file viewer
    Beyond that, I'll make do. This is mainly for XHTML, CSS, PHP, JS btw.

I am a fan of vi(m), but I've only got 1 of those requirements fulfilled above.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Eclipse is pretty popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

Yeah Eclipse is a great IDE (I have used Eclipse for Java development quite a bit). However at the moment I'm running in a VM with limited RAM available, so trying to run something big like Eclipse in a JVM inside that would probably be more hassle than it's worth.

Anything lightweight?

[edit]I should have mentioned my environment (the VM) is not open to change. With limited RAM available my choices are more refined[/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭slavigo

I use JEdit on my Ubuntu.
    It does the job and with plenty of support for syntax highlighting and extensions.
    http://www.jedit.org/
    (If I remember correctly, I wasn't it biggest fan at the start but now that I've got it configured to my liking and with the extensions I need, I really like it.)

I know some people who sware by Kate.
    http://kate-editor.org/

Hope this helps, to at least give you some ideas to think aobut.
    Dave.

(P.s. Shouldn't this be in a different forum?
    If you get it moved to somewhere like
    Programming or Unix under Operating Systems, you might be some more feed back.)

Advertisement