Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GP and Catchment Area Question

Options
  • 30-09-2009 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Just wondering do GP's act only within certain 'catchment areas'. I was recommended a really good doctor which is near where I work but is not near where I live. I was told by a receptionist that they could not take me on for 'ethical reasons'. Any way I can get around this as I don't particularly like the doctor in my home area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Quiet Lurker

if you have a medical card there is a 7 mile catchment area which the health board usually try to enforce. however if there is a good reason they may waive this restriction. If you are a private patient usually there should be no restriction

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭AmcD

The catchment area is also important for house calls. You can't expect that your GP might travel across the entire city for a single house call. Also when you are actually sick you might find it a big hassle to go out travelling to your GP, if they are not relatively nearby.
    The out-of-hours service is also relevant. In North Dublin a lot of GPs are members of DDoc. The out-of-hours treatment centres are in Hartstown, Ballymun, Coolock etc. If you worked by day on the Northside, but then went back home to Sandyford, you might not appreciate travelling back out to Ballymun to get an emergency appointment.
    Maybe there is a nicer GP near your home town?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

if you have a medical card there is a 7 mile catchment area which the health board usually try to enforce. however if there is a good reason they may waive this restriction. If you are a private patient usually there should be no restriction

Not true. While there is no definitive catchment area as such, the GP must bear in mind how far away any potential private patient lives in case a house call arises.
    Roo08 wrote: »
    Just wondering do GP's act only within certain 'catchment areas'. I was recommended a really good doctor which is near where I work but is not near where I live. I was told by a receptionist that they could not take me on for 'ethical reasons'. Any way I can get around this as I don't particularly like the doctor in my home area?

If you really want to become a patient of this particular GP then I suggest talking to him/her directly. State your case, and let him/her decide if you live too far away to take on.

Advertisement