Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fev shown the door at Carlton

Options
  • 30-09-2009 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭

So looks like Fev will be moving clubs during the trade window.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/blogarticle/tabid/8123/newsid/85513/default.aspx
    Blues to trade Fevola

CARLTON has lost patience with errant full-forward Brendan Fevola and will try to offload him in next month's exchange period.

Fevola generated much controversy after an alcohol-fuelled appearance at last week's Brownlow Medal count.

His critics included League chief executive Andrew Demetriou, while Fevola and the club agreed he would not appear at its best-and-fairest awards last Monday night.

He also withdrew from the grand final motorcade which he was to participate in as 2009 Coleman Medallist.

Fevola's management issued a statement on the player's behalf.

"I am disappointed by the Carlton decision today but I am committed to the future rather than the past," he said.

"I will await with interest the outcome of trade week and will focus solely on the challenges and opportunities ahead.

"I am committed not just to being the very best player I can be but also to rectifying off-field issues.

"I acknowledge that this is largely of my own doing, I remain remorseful for the events of the past 10 days and once again apologise to those people I have let down - especially family and friends.

"But I cannot turn back the clock. Instead I will welcome the opportunity to join a new club and look forward to pursuing the dream of an AFL premiership.

"If this is to be the end of my time at Carlton, I want to thank the Blues fans for their magnificent support over 11 years. You’ve meant more to me than I perhaps realised - until now.

"Also, I want to extend my best wishes to Brett Ratten, Chris Judd and the Carlton players, and thank them for their friendship and assistance."

Demetriou was clearly underwhelmed by the serial offender's behaviour on football's biggest night.

"I'd have to say to you that I don't think Brendan covered himself in glory on Monday night," he said.

"He, by his very own admission, has said that he doesn't handle alcohol well, so he needs to start actually listening to himself.

"I suspect that the Carlton Football Club would be disappointed with what they saw; I know the Channel Nine Footy Show is, and he's really got to wake up to himself on that front because he just doesn't handle alcohol well."

Fevola was drafted by the Blues at pick 38 in the 1998 NAB AFL Draft, and has played 187 games for the Blues.

He has kicked 577 goals, been All-Australian twice, is six-times leading goalkicker at the Blues, and is third on their all-time goalkicking list.

Eagles have already ruled out making a move, which I have to admit is slightly disappointing as we do need a solid FF. I guess his off field antics don't fit in with the new squeeky clean image at the club -

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/85521/default.aspx
    Fevola not in Eagles' calculations; Hawks unsure

THOUGH West Coast will be a trade week participant when it seeks finds new homes for ruckman Mark Seaby and utility Brent Staker, the club is unlikely to pursue Carlton's Brendan Fevola.

Speaking immediately after Carlton announced it would look to offload its troublesome forward, Eagles list and contract manager Steve Woodhouse said his club wasn't in line to recruit the 28-year-old.

"I've only just heard about it. We'd need to sit down and discuss it first. We've never discussed it before and haven't considered it," Woodhouse told afl.com.au.

"I wouldn't consider it at the moment, no."

Woodhouse said any decision the Eagles might make on Fevola would be a club one.

"We really can't comment on that because we don't know what is going on," he said.

Advertisement