Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare FM

Options
  • 30-09-2009 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭

Did you know Clare FM sounds like you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

I do know that they have f**k all knowledge about running and updating
    a website.
    what's with the 'Clare Fm BIG WEEKEND' that's been every weekend now for the last three years.
    And at half time during a live match ,let's not discuss the game .
    We will play a song or two instead and miss the first minute of the second half.
    I honestly think my nephew could do better with a ham radio..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

People only listen to Clare Fm to find out who's dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

People only listen to Clare Fm to find out who's dead.

and old people who are about to die

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

They used to say "Clare FM regret to announce the following deaths". I was like SO DONT ANNOUNCE THEM THEN IF YOU REGRET IT!

They changed that fairly lively to "Clare FM have been informed of the following deaths"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Alan Cantwell (now of TV3 fame) once announced "Clare FM are pleased to announce the following deaths"

Anyway, it's a terrible excuse for a radio station, if you're not interested in traditional music or religion you've no reason to listen to it, remember their big Brother rip off? Caravan in O'Sullivan and Hansbury's. The again they are doing a public service, without them people with speech impediments would have no chance of getting a job on radio.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Teadrinker

When Mark Dunphy and Cian O Siochain did the morning news thing it was often well worth listening to but haven't bothered with it since they left except for Paula O'Carroll's special documentaries. Do they have trouble getting/keeping good people?

Cormac McConnell really had genuine funny moments though. Once he had a competition where people phoned in to let us hear the sounds their whistling kettles made. On one occasion there was silence and the caller explained that his phone couldn't actually reach next or near where the kettle was boiling!

According to the August JNLR-MRBI listenership figures 46 percent of the population of Clare tune into ClareFM daily and it can't just be for the death notices. It's always on in the doctors. Dentists tend to go for Lyric.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Very bad radio station. I have no interest in listening to it AT ALL!! :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭murraymarmalade

its sickning the amount of times they put this promo out in the space of a short time...eg clare fm sounds like you(my hole!)a goal for clare from colin ryan.clare fm.
    clare fm news,clare fm has been informed of the following deaths.bla bla

im sick of the station:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

a goal for clare from colin ryan.

:pac:
    I hate this, ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

At least they play a decent mix of new and old stuff and you'll hear old tracks you dont hear too often on other stations. Compared to Dive 95fm its very good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

It's certainly popular so they must be doing something right.

I would have hated it years ago, but the national radiostations have gotten so monotinous with their narrow, computer controlled music playlisting that Clare FM is actually starting to sound reasonably OK now.

They're good for trad, which is important. Beyond that I wouldn't really check it very often.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The local GAA matches get good coverage which I think is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I think it's generally good but there are one or two of the presenters that like the sound of their own voice too much for my liking!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr Kamikazi

I wonder if the "Pet Death" section on the Ray Foley show where a rip-off of Clare FM in particular?
    Funny as fcuk though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭eddiehobbs

To be fair i thought john cook was good in the mornings but he not on anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

John is back tomorrow morning.........so things are looking up. New guy on the breakfast programme too......

The Sunday morning cheesey country music session actually drove me to smash a radio in my house. I cant stand that radio station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Christ yes. I was on a bus one day and the driver insisted on playing that show at ear splitting volume. I nearly went insane.

I don't mind country in the slightest, but the **** they play on that show is an abomination. I think it's a feature of most rural radiostations though. I've definitely heard similar stuff on the midlands radiostations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

The Sunday morning cheesey country music session actually drove me to smash a radio in my house. I cant stand that radio station.

The "signature tune" alone is enough to make me projectile vomit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 John Street

finbarrk wrote: »
    The local GAA matches get good coverage which I think is important.

Have any of you heard sideline view (GAA) on Friday evenings? Peter O' Connell from the Clare Champion presents it. Must be some kind of link established between the Champion and Clare FM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Teadrinker

Have any of you heard sideline view (GAA) on Friday evenings? Peter O' Connell from the Clare Champion presents it. Must be some kind of link established between the Champion and Clare FM.

Family that owns the paper owns large slice of the radio also. Same legendary
    management style in each.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gigtown

Anyone know when/where the AGM is on tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

gigtown wrote: »
    Anyone know when/where the AGM is on tonight?
    If you are anxious to attend, it might be quicker to contact Clare FM directly.

http://clare.fm/studio-direct

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

As local radio stations go, they're up there with the best, so they must be doing something right. Their music tastes might not appeal to you (presuming that, as a generalisation, being on boards means that most of you are of a younger audience), but their coverage of local sport (from club finals, to inter-county fixtures deemed not worthy of national coverage) and local issues of politics/news is the best there. Coupled with the fact that any Clare ex-pats can listen in online for free. A very useful service to Clare & beyond, if you ask me; all done with private funding too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I'm locking this thread as it is over three years old and old threads put the database under a lot of strain.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81740836&postcount=22

If anyone wants to start a new thread to discuss Clare FM that absolutely fine! Finally, if someone knows the answer to gigtown's question relating to the AGM, please send him a PM - Thanks!.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement