Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about a nameserver's IP changing...

Options
  • 30-09-2009 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Hello

I've been talking to the IEDR about this, but I'm not too confident about their replies, so I was hoping one of you guys might be able to help me.

1. I have a couple of nameservers: ns1.hostago.com and ns2.hostago.com.
    2. I need to/am about to update the IPs for both nameservers.
    3. Do I need to tell the IEDR that the nameserver IPs have changed, or will my .ie domains continue to work as normal? Note my domains will continue to use the nameservers ns1.hostago.com and ns2.hostago.com.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I set up some virtual name servers for my reseller account last year, and my registrar (R365 in my case) had to register these with Verisign.

When the IP addresses changed, I had to inform them again so they could do the updates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Yeah, the registrars for my .com domains require me to manually update their records as well.

This is what the IEDR said to me:
    Once the IP address has been changed on the namerservers with teh hosting provider it filters down to our systems and is included in the zone file.

Dunno...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

But I think it's up to the hosting provider (or possibly your registrar) to update the IP address records of your name servers; I doubt the IEDR would do that for you. I know R365 did this for me anyway.

eoin wrote: »
    But I think it's up to the hosting provider (or possibly your registrar) to update the IP address records of your name servers; I doubt the IEDR would do that for you. I know R365 did this for me anyway.

Well this is the thing:

I own and run the nameservers. I will be moving the nameservers to a different server with a different IP. I will then manually configure the nameservers on the new server. So as far as I am aware, I will have done everything I can do at my end.

Normally you need to tell your registrar the FQDN and IP of your nameservers. Therefore I will have to manually update the IP of the nameservers at my .com registrar. But the IEDR are telling me I don't need to do anything.

My dedicated server is at The Planet - do you reckon I need to tell them that I have updated the IPs of my nameservers? The reason I doubt this is because I'm thinking do they even care I use my own nameservers?

Maybe I am confused. :pac:

Cheers.

Actually looking in my eNom account (which controls the hostago.com domain which I use for my nameservers) I have an option to update my registered nameserver IP addresses. Perhaps when this is done the changes will filter all the way to the IEDR.

*Fingers crossed"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭jmcc

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Hello

I've been talking to the IEDR about this, but I'm not too confident about their replies, so I was hoping one of you guys might be able to help me.

1. I have a couple of nameservers: ns1.hostago.com and ns2.hostago.com.
    2. I need to/am about to update the IPs for both nameservers.
    3. Do I need to tell the IEDR that the nameserver IPs have changed, or will my .ie domains continue to work as normal? Note my domains will continue to use the nameservers ns1.hostago.com and ns2.hostago.com.
    Unless both the full name of the nameservers and their respective IPs are included in the .ie zonefile, IEDR won't have to do anything. Your changes to the IPs of the nameservers should be picked up by anyone querying the relevant .ie domain.

Generally, the IPs for a .com DNS are included in the .com zonefile. The same would apply to the other TLDs. Unless IEDR has included the IPs for ns[12].hostago.com in its zonefile, they don't have to change anything at their end as it would be picked up automatically.

This is what a query for ns1.hostago.com from the main .com nameserver looks like:

dig @a.gtld-servers.net -ta ns1.hostago.com

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;ns1.hostago.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    ns1.hostago.com. 172800 IN A 75.125.81.53

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    hostago.com. 172800 IN NS ns1.hostago.com.
    hostago.com. 172800 IN NS ns2.hostago.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
    ns1.hostago.com. 172800 IN A 75.125.81.53
    ns2.hostago.com. 172800 IN A 75.125.81.54

As you can see it is providing the IP for the nameservers and additional information.

Now this is the same query on the main .ie nameserver:

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;ns1.hostago.com. IN A

But it doesn't give any more data because the IPs are not in the .ie zonefile but the nameservers are because hostago.com has a number of .ie domains on its nameservers. (I think it would also be a recursive query.)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭jmcc

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Actually looking in my eNom account (which controls the hostago.com domain which I use for my nameservers) I have an option to update my registered nameserver IP addresses. Perhaps when this is done the changes will filter all the way to the IEDR.

*Fingers crossed"
    They should do. The modifications to domain details on the .com zone tend to be live so the IPs should be updated relatively quickly. But as of 02:50 the IPs are still the same as the old ones.

If you're on Linux, you can use 'dig @a.gtld-servers.net -tns ns1.hostago.com' to see what the .com zone has on the nameserver.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You're using a .com nameserver for a .ie, so it doesn't matter

If you were using a .ie domain to handle dns for your .ie domains then you would need to update the glue records ..

You will need to update the glue records with the registrar for the .com

Thanks everyone!

Advertisement