Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio Eireann Sponsored Radio Programmes

Options
  • 30-09-2009 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Hi Everyone. This is a quest to tax your "little grey cells." Back in the 1950s, 60s RE's lunchtime sponsored radio slots were hugely popular. Indeed they were the launch pad for many celebrities like Gay Byrne and Joe Linnane. Who can remember those halcyon days? What programmes can you remember and what did you (or your parents enjoy) which of the many were loathed? So come on back and let's exchange some memories.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭TheScribbler

I can certainly remember the Hospitals Requests sponsored by Irish Hospitals Sweepstake, Urney Chocolates and their SciFi series called Urney Planetman. There was the Fruitfield household tips featuring the voice characters of Tom & Peggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭gipi

Who could forget the "agony aunt" programme sponsored by Jacob's and hosted by Frankie Byrne.....she only ever played Sinatra!

Harry Thulier (I'm going waaayyyy back now) had a program sponsored by McDonnells Good Food Kitchen!

Leo Maguire presented an Irish music show sponsored by Waltons "if you sing, do sing an Irish song" - it was on Saturday mornings, I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I think I remember The Glen Abbey Show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭hamlet1

anyone remember dear sir or madam? it was on every saturday at 7pm.and coming home from school at lunchtime to listen to harbour hotel was a must!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I remember the tail end of that era, between 1.30 and 2.30 (?) they had 4 sponsered shows I think.

• Advertisement

This is fun. You guys have had me in knots of laughter. Frankie Byrne ran a PR firm in Dublin and I have to be honest I hated the radio programme as I felt it was patronising and always had lousy music. In fairness that may have been down to Radio Eireann.

The comment about the Waltons sponsored programme and the catch phrase also struck a cord. My inclination in those days was to retune to Luxembourg if it was on or Radio Caroline.

Other programmes were for Donnellys Sausages and IMCO. Gay Byrne did the Urney programme for a while and Joe Linnane did the Birds programme on Tuesdays, 'after all you do want the best don't you?'

Keep it coming this is pure nostalgia mining at its best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

The Kennedys of Castleross. Ma never missed an episode

I got dear Leo Maguire's catchphrase wrong.....how could I!! It was of course "If you feel like singing, do sing an Irish song"!

Yep there was a Glen Abbey Show "Let's go with the Glen Abbey Show" and for some reason my brain links Frank Kelly to it? Wasn't it where his famous creation "Gobnait O Lunacy" of the 12 days of Xmas fame first got airtime?

There was a great TV prog about Frankie Byrne on a few years ago.

This thread has me remembering back to the days when I first started work (late 70s) and was up before Radio Eireann started broadcasting - they didn't start broadcasts until 7.30am! Between 7 and 7.30 they played a repeating tune (Roddy McCorley I think - it's now part of their News theme tune).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

3.01 and the theme music Flower Among Them All by Horslips

Who sponsored the Kennedys of Castle Ross? It was sort of Glenroe without pictures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

OT

Why does TheScribbler have sad faces on all his threads and posts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

gipi wrote: »
    I got dear Leo Maguire's catchphrase wrong.....how could I!! It was of course "If you feel like singing, do sing an Irish song"!

Yep there was a Glen Abbey Show "Let's go with the Glen Abbey Show" and for some reason my brain links Frank Kelly to it? Wasn't it where his famous creation "Gobnait O Lunacy" of the 12 days of Xmas fame first got airtime?

There was a great TV prog about Frankie Byrne on a few years ago.

This thread has me remembering back to the days when I first started work (late 70s) and was up before Radio Eireann started broadcasting - they didn't start broadcasts until 7.30am! Between 7 and 7.30 they played a repeating tune (Roddy McCorley I think - it's now part of their News theme tune).

I thought it was O'Donnell Abu ?

You're right Lizzykins, I wasn't sure what it was called when I posted - but I know someone would know! Thanks!

And here it is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSE4MN-rI4Y&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

gipi wrote: »
    You're right Lizzykins, I wasn't sure what it was called when I posted - but I know someone would know! Thanks!

And here it is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSE4MN-rI4Y&feature=related
    I haven't heard that version before. The original radio version didn't have strings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

I remember getting up at an ungodly hour in the winter to go to work in the early 80s and you would hear O'Donnell Abu when you switched on the radio. We didn't have central heating and you'd be freezing to death getting dressed.
    I remember the Glen Abbey show and the Jacobs show very well and of course the Kennedys of Castlerosse. All very 1970s!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bean123

Michael

It was sponsored by Fry Cadbury and produced by Arks

Graeme

Who sponsored the Kennedys of Castle Ross? It was sort of Glenroe without pictures.

Thanks G you are good at jogging the memory cells. See you next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bobpit

- Mitchellstown Creameries - Makers of Geltee, Whitethorn, and Three Counties Cheeses -
    Luchtime during the week - preceded or followed by "The Morning Prices of the Dublin Stock Exchange" - was there LIFE out there?;)

Goodness Bobpit you have a good memory

• Registered Users Posts: 4 decco15

2 questions,

which sponsored Radio Eireann programme had the Elisabethen Serenade as its sig tune and for the bonus point

When period did Dear Sir or Madam run for?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭hamlet1

cant remember which programme had elizabethan seranade as sig tune! dear sir or madam ran during the 70s on a sat evening at 7pm and it was brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dobh

can anybody tell me the name of the piece of music used to open the frankie byrne show on rte years ago. i think it was a sinatra piece. thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭moceri

"Lulu's Room" by Andre Previn. Soundtrack from the film "Elmer Gantry".
    http://www.we7.com/song/Andre-Previn-Orchestra/Lulus-Room

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jonathan Ryan

Does anyone remember a mid-1960s Radio Eireann lunch time sponsored programme called 'Top Ten Tips' presented by Niall Boden that featured a panel of two adults and two teenagers reviewing new pop record releases? ... I think it was broadcast on Fridays.

• Site Banned Posts: 78 ✭✭johnnyyesno

Literally the only thing I can remember about Harbour Hotel was the theme music, it's burned into my consciousness.

https://open.spotify.com/track/6HCJUeHo2zeBdmouFz2Uei

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭cml387

I'll resurrect this thread just for the lols.

Mainly because it was in March 1980 that RTE announced the end of sponsored programmes on RTE radio.

In fact this was particularly hard for Frank Kelly as RTE had just announced the axing of Hall's Pictorial Weekly, and now his Glen Abbey Show was gone as well.

Information from the Irish Times archive: Leo Maguire, the man behind the Walton's Programme was quoted as saying that RTE wouldn't let him play the songs he wanted to play anyway (rebel songs mostly).

Frank Kelly was very diplomatic about the whole thing, as you would expect, best not to fall out with the suits in Donnybrook.

Frankie Byrne was also quoted as being upset that her show was gone.

It's an irony that nowadays many programmes are again sponsored, the difference being he companies do not produce the programmes themselves.

Advertisement