Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History essay help

Options
  • 30-09-2009 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Our history teacher gave us an essay from the 2008 paper
    'What steps did Irish governments take to consolidate democracy 1923-1945?'. The thing is he didnt give us any notes and I dont know where to start! :confused:What are the key points that I should include?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Our history teacher gave us an essay from the 2008 paper
    'What steps did Irish governments take to consolidate democracy 1923-1945?'. The thing is he didnt give us any notes and I dont know where to start! :confused:What are the key points that I should include?
    Thanks

If you've got the textbook 'Modern Ireland' make sure you include key personalities and read up on your case studies. They are vital.

Don't waffle too much. History is fact so don't omit any main facts.

Your teacher will help you with proper structure etc. Practice makes perfect and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mirror Image

I was put off by the title because it is so broad. Should I mention the Cumman na nGaedhael and Fianna Fail government in power and what they did or just stick to key people?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

'What steps did Irish governments take to consolidate democracy 1923-1945?'

The question asks about governments, not key people.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

i'd say talk about dealing with the ra and bunreacht na heireann...

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mirror Image

It doesn't seem as daunting now.

Thanks guys for all your help:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

spurious wrote: »
    'What steps did Irish governments take to consolidate democracy 1923-1945?'

The question asks about governments, not key people.

That's why you're the teacher and I'm the lowly poster. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That_Guy wrote: »
    That's why you're the teacher and I'm the lowly poster. ;)

Well, I'm not sure about that.
    Seriously though, break down essay titles like that and deal with each aspect.

It's not reading the question that results in people writing fantastic essays on one small aspect of the title and then wondering why they get less than 50% of the marks.

To structure your essay, you could take each government in turn (only in the period specified) and talk about what steps (successful or otherwise) they took to 'consolidate democracy'. You can mention key personalities and their contributions within your discussion of each particular government.

Advertisement