Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance Query

Options
  • 30-09-2009 3:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭

Right so I'm off to see Community Welfare Office tomorow on her' 1-nce a week (unless sick or on holidays, it's Christmas, Halloween, Mid-Term, Easter etc. in which case she doesn't pay us a visit at all!) trip for 1-hour.
    Do I need to make an appointment or do I just stroll in?
    Does she answer all queries?
    I'm especially intrested in getting rent allowance, how to apply, what are criteria etc.
    Does it matter that I'm single & living at home? I'm in my Late-20s/Early-30s & ondly moved home cos Landlord wouldn't accept r/a. As is a landlords' right I presume?
    How much will I get?
    Will it take long to come through?
    Have I to apply each-time I find a landlord during my accomodation search who'll accept me as a SW/RA Tenant? Or can I go say with aba llpark figure to landlord?
    I was quoted 125/week for a 1-bed APT. & Landlady say she get 84 R/A & rest pay I. Which'd be E41 so say to include bills allow for E60/week I supose.
    Am I asking right questions even?
    Does my current 204.30 get affected?
    Sorry for all the questions. I have never applied for r/a before. Don't know my rights.
    Am doing 2 courses at the moment after 7 months on JB & it's costing me 80 + 90. I'm possibly entitled to a grant from FAS or CWO & did register with them in May iirc but how do I know what I'm entitled to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

How would you be getting rent allowance if you are living at home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Please visit your local Citizens' Information bureau - they will be able to explain everything in detail to you.

If you'd like to tell us what they told you though, that would be great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

Went up & visited my local C.W.O. today. Out here in the schticks, one hour a week, one day a week is all we get.
    First-off, IF I were to get a landlord willing to accept r/a, there's a limit.
    I'm guessing it varies depending on location (I.E., City, Town, Village etc.).
    E108 is maximum rent they'd pay-out on. They (Social) pay E84 of it & I pay E24 (I.E., The Balance).
    That amount varies obviously depending on price of housing/accomodation. That is for stand-alone accomodation. I.E., A bedsit, One-Bed Apartament or Duplex etc. for ONE Person.
    What'd it'd be for two mates, a couple, family etc. i don't know, didn't find-out cos time was precious, limited & it was not my business.
    If it's Shared Accomodation, the maximum amount of rent a week they'll pay-out on is E78 & they pay E56 while you contribute E24.
    As you can see the E24 is a constant.
    The deposit isn't funded afaik although to be fair I didn't ask.
    There is a fuel-allowance (Start of October to End of April) of E20 a month.

Advertisement