Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject help

Options
  • 29-09-2009 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

hey, so in 6th year at the mo and after taking on applied maths which means im doing 9 subjects, im lookin to do medicine after school and i think it seems kind of hard to get the points i need while doing so many. really cant decide what to drop:confused: so anyway my subjects are Ap maths, maths, Irish, french, biology, english, engineering, construction and lcvp(which is obligitory:mad:) im taking all the subjects at higher but i was thinking that maybe dropping english to ordinary might save time?? any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

What are you better at, English or Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 _michael_

I prefer irish a lot english is my worst subject (plus we have a terrible teacher):o

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Looks like a fairly obvious one so ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Looks like a fairly obvious one so ...
    Hope you're being sarcastic.

It's fairly obvious, if you want to do medicine, you must keep the subjects you need for medicine:
    Ap maths, maths, Irish, french, biology, english, engineering, construction and LCVP.
    You don't need applied maths. Do you want to give that up?
    Since biology is your only lab subject you'll need that.
    Maths, Irish, English are core subjects.
    French is a third language, would be a bad idea to drop it.
    You don't need engineering. Do you want to give that up?
    You don't need construction. Do you want to give that up?
    You can't give up LCVP according to yourself.

Now you only have 3 choices. Much easier? Make sure you check out prospectus's to see what subjects are needed for medicine (I could be wrong). TBH, the way you have your subjects picked (with applied maths, engineering and construction) it looks like you're going for an engineering/design course or something. Pick the ones you're best at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Hate to break it to you, but for almost every single medical course in this country you need to do Chemistry, the only courses that doesn't require two sciences is N.U.I.G and thats only for the 6 year programme...UCD is the same. But for UCC, TCD, RCSI and N.U.I.G 5 year course you need Chemistry...It's the only reason I'm pretty much taking it...Good luck :)

• Advertisement

jumpguy wrote: »
    Hope you're being sarcastic.
    No, I wasn't. Why would you think so?

Did you read the opening post properly?

Michael explained that he was doing 9 subjects, all at Higher, which is a heavy load, and that he was thinking of dropping from Higher to Ordinary Level in English. He later explained that English was his worst subject, and that he wasn't the greatest admirer of the relevant teacher.

I can't see any reason why dropping to Ordinary Level in English should cause him problems: he still has 8 subjects to count for points, and is still covering all the core subjects.

Where do you see the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

No, I wasn't. Why would you think so?

Did you read the opening post properly?

Michael explained that he was doing 9 subjects, all at Higher, which is a heavy load, and that he was thinking of dropping from Higher to Ordinary Level in English. He later explained that English was his worst subject, and that he wasn't the greatest admirer of the relevant teacher.

I can't see any reason why dropping to Ordinary Level in English should cause him problems: he still has 8 subjects to count for points, and is still covering all the core subjects.

Where do you see the problem?
    Oh! I'm sorry. I thought the OP meant by "dropping" as in giving up certain subjects completely, not dropping to pass (kinda stupid now that I think about it). So I thought you meant giving up English so I was abit misled.

In that case, my advice is very bad advice. Don't drop to pass in subjects you're good at!

Hate to break it to you, but for almost every single medical course in this country you need to do Chemistry, the only courses that doesn't require two sciences is N.U.I.G and thats only for the 6 year programme...UCD is the same. But for UCC, TCD, RCSI and N.U.I.G 5 year course you need Chemistry...It's the only reason I'm pretty much taking it...Good luck :)
    You're right in saying that for most of the 5 year programmes, Chemistry is essential (Trinity has a slightly different way of doing things as usual, and specify a HB3 and a HC3 from Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Physics/Chemistry and Agricultural Science, rather than simply making Chemistry essential.).

UCD, NUIG and RCSI all offer 6 year programmes for which Chemistry is not essential.

Full details for 2009 are on page 2 of this document.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

What kind of grade would you expect in English if you were to do Higher Level?

If I was in that position, I would ease off on the LCVP, be in class as you're obliged to, but keep it at that. A distinction in LCVP is worth 70 points, the same as a C1 in a Higher Level subject. You're going to need more than C1s to get into medicine ( I know about the 480 cut off for HPAT, but realistically speaking)

If your lowest grade is likely to be higher than this then it's something to think about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 R0siE

Well I think you should forget about the LCVP...As far I know you only get the points from it if you get below 460 points in the LC and you are clearly aiming for above that...I originally was doing LCVP but a group of us who took applied maths as an extra subject(outside of school) went to the principal to ask to get out and he had no problem with it!He also let out some people just if they were doing all honour subjects....You should definitely consider going to see your principle about it he/she should understand that LCVP is pointless to you!
    I don't really see the point of dropping to pass english there's still a fair amount of effort involved...maybe stay with honours but just don't spend as much time on it..you can just disregard it anyway!
    Sure you can disregard 3 subjects i've just noticed-it's happy days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RexMundi

I'd get rid of Construction if I was in your position but perhaps you are good at it..

Engineering and Applied maths are presumably quite similar. So probably good points bankers.

Anyway, to do Medicine do you not need a second science subject? Or does HL maths/ App. Maths count? Or am I wrong..

Advertisement