Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buried Bee?

Options
  • 29-09-2009 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Forgive the alliteration but can anyone explain a buried bee? I was digging my spuds in the garden the other day (end September) county Meath and about two or three inches down came across a huge vibrating bee! Seemed very inclined toward the half dead spectrum of its life, but was vibrating like a good thing and buzzing ferociously! Scared the life out of me! It was huge - maybe an inch and a half long so naturally I ran into the house screaming like a girl. I later returned and re buried said bee. which hadnt moved much. There were bees in the garden in the summer.

Do bees hibernate? Was it a Queen? Am I an idiot?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Bumble bees both nest in holes in the ground and hibernate, at least the queens do.

Advertisement