Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Hunting Limerick driving me NUTS!!

Options
  • 29-09-2009 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

So as the title says... Job Hunting in Limerick is driving me nuts!!

I have lost count of the number of CV's I have sent away hundreds all individually tailored to each position and can count on one hand the number of responses I have gotten. All thanks but no thanks!

I had one interview in June and came 2nd... but there was only 1 job!!

I lost my temporary job in May in a telephone company call center (did not like it so did not care) was actually glad to be out of there.

I have been working since I was 16... And not used to not working.. I try to keep myself busy and still at job hunting further a field now as well, Cork & Galway.

Everyone I meet around seems to be unemployed, Most of the people who lost their jobs with me in May are all signing on.

So do you think job hunting in Limerick SUCKS... or its just the same all over the place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Well if you go to Google and type in "worldwide" "recession" you might get some answers as to why theres no jobs around at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

krudler wrote: »
    Well if you go to Google and type in "worldwide" "recession" you might get some answers as to why theres no jobs around at the mo

member of fianna fail?

keep on sending out the cvs, don't give up!

how about a night course ....

omerin wrote: »
    member of fianna fail?

keep on sending out the cvs, don't give up!

how about a night course ....

Not even registered to vote:p

I just dont get why the OP is mad, surely everyone has realised jobs are hard to come by these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

What line of work you looking for OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

If you do not forsee yourself getting a job within the month you can try what some people are doing and suggesting that you will work one month probation without pay.

They will jump at the chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Berty wrote: »
    If you do not forsee yourself getting a job within the month you can try what some people are doing and suggesting that you will work one month probation without pay.

They will jump at the chance.

That's the kind of constructive comments that we could do with seeing more of around here, better than the keyboard warrior making snide remarks about the worldwide recession any day.

Seems like a very good suggestion. Just because companies are laying people off doesn't mean that there is not work that needs doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

gaf1983 wrote: »
    That's the kind of constructive comments that we could do with seeing more of around here, better than the keyboard warrior making snide remarks about the worldwide recession any day.

Seems like a very good suggestion. Just because companies are laying people off doesn't mean that there is not work that needs doing.

That's what an economy is based on. People paying other people for their services. People offering to work for free is very detrimental to the recovery. I would only suggest something like this is you had a water tight guarantee of a paid job at the end of the probation.

I would suggest to the OP to volunteer their services/skills to some type of charity/group, but not to work for free for an employer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    That's what an economy is based on. People paying other people for their services. People offering to work for free is very detrimental to the recovery. I would only suggest something like this is you had a water tight guarantee of a paid job at the end of the probation.

I would suggest to the OP to volunteer their services/skills to some type of charity/group, but not to work for free for an employer.

+1
    Working for free used to be called slavery in past centuries. At least the slaveowner had to give u food and shelter to keep u some way healthy. No point giving employers any bad habits like not having to pay their staff.

gaf1983 wrote: »

What was snide about it, there is a recession on. Economics not your forte then? Why would anyone work for free? surely the entire point of a job is to be able to pay the bills, plus companies would be wary about taking on "free" help if they are letting paid workers go, the unions would have a field day with them if they found out pople were working for nothing, it wouldnt help anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

plus insurance issues

it would be a law suit waiting to happen

DO NOT WORK FOR FREE OR ELSE YOU WILL DO SO MORE AND MORE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

OP here..

Thanks for the responses, I did not mean to come across as MAD... I suppose I'm just fed up of job hunting.:)

If I apply for a job a "thanks but no thanks" would be appreciated. I know thousands of people are applying for 1 position but surely some generic email would be better than nothing.

I haven't given up yet, and don't spend all day everyday job hunting, that would only be depressing. Maybe an hour in the morning to see whats new.

I have seen on lots of websites about working for FREE... Seems to be the way to get a job in a recession. Maybe i'll offer a few days for settling in for free to see if job/me are suited.

There are also lots of FREE jobs on FAS its the new WPP scheme (you have to be unemployed for 6 months and work 6 months for free). Good for College student but I have 20 years work experience behind me.

What kind of job am I looking for, not that fussy really. My main experience is mainly in retail from sales assistant to shop manager. So retail management, (merchandiser, sales etc) Also lots of work experience in office work, telesales, order processing, secretarial etc. And my call centre experience.

I have done so much DIY about the house I could be a painter/decorator by now!!;)

Anyway I will do some volunteer in a charity shop or somewhere! Was going to do a night course but that was full too!!! Full of the unemployed I guess..

I know there are thousands of people in the same position as me, some even worse, (at least I don't have a mortgage, debts) So trying to keep up the good spirits. And fingers crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

dont worry im in the same boat as you. im out of a job since christmas eve and only work as a steward in thomond maybe once a month so i have practically no income.

iv been handing out the cvs to the extent that im repeating the places maybe once every 2 or3 months. cant go on the dole cos im in college monday to friday so weekend work is all i can do.

on a daly basis i go on fas.ie, jobs.ie, lodza jobs.ie etc and nothing..so frustrating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

The worst part of all this is the lack of decencey on the part of companys who as my grandmother used to say "wont even ignore you"

If someone goes to the bother of emailing you a CV/Letter of application etc the least the company can do is reply and say "sorry but no". Most companys dont even do that! its so rude! You send off say 100 CV's, you wont get more than ten replies.
    Ignorance :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I'm an employer and can't resisit adding my views to this topic.

Firstly I always reply, uually by email, to all job applications.

Secondly, and more importantly, there is a lot of paperwork, bureaucracy and legal matters surrounding hiring people. I may need someone for a few months which could extend into a year or more. I have to issue the employee with a contract of employment, register for PAYE and PRSI, make sure they have safe passes, ensure they are in a safe working environemt or I may get brought to court, if I am not happy with their performance make sure I go through the right dismissal procedures, pay for public holidays, allow for overtime and keep check on hours worked etc.

An employee brought me to the labour court a few yeras and although he was shown to be lying, he succeeded in getting the courts to order me to pay him about 3,000 euro. All of this in spite of the fact that his claims were false.

The point of my little rant is that I cannot just hire someone and see how it goes and then maybe decide to keep them. Many employers are very reluctant to have people on the payroll with the mountain of legislation out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭DJ Alex Black

same with me

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

also from an employer's side -

1. we get so many CVs in with no contact details. you'd be surprised that such a basic thing gets left off a CV.

2. without email addresses, it has costed hundreds in postage to reply to CVs that arrive, I can't afford that anymore. Sorry.

3. Don't send CVs in with fancy folders, etc. They are expensive for you and totally unnecessary for the employer. We don't need copies of every cert you've ever got - if get to position of interview, bring them with you then.

Advertisement