Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places in Dublin to visit?

Options
  • 29-09-2009 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Hey, would like to know some good places to visit in Dublin to see some good alternative/indie bands. I'm 20 so I can go to most pubs/clubs.

Also a student, so preferably a cheap place.. but.. :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

Gloom wrote: »
    Hey, would like to know some good places to visit in Dublin to see some good alternative/indie bands. I'm 20 so I can go to most pubs/clubs.

Also a student, so preferably a cheap place.. but.. :P

whelans is probably your best bit for alternative/indie music at the weekend. Also, I think the crawdaddy host indie nights on wednesdays. Not too sure who's playing there over the next while but a good website to look up for alternative gigs is www.tickets.ie . They do smaller, non ticketmaster events

where are you comin from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

free late shows in whelans upstairs on saturday nights:D

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kid V

The academy and the village are good for gigs

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭flynnduism

What sort of music are you into? Indie is a very broadly used term these days ;) - whatever your preferences, you'll find good comprehensive gig listings on last.fm

http://www.last.fm/events

For regular club nights:

Upstairs in Doyles near Trinity on a Thursday night (not cheap though). Crowd mostly students, usually gets pretty messy as the night goes on.

Antics in Crawdaddy / POD on a Wednesday night (indie/electro) student night with good deals on drinks. Crowd can be a bit poser-ish though. info

Whelans is good to as mentioned above, but it gets very packed at the weekends and it's DJs tend to play the same 20 or so tracks day in day out.

Andrews Lane Theatre (ALT) has an indie night on Tuesdays called Thrashed, don't know much about it other than what's here.

Friday in The Academy is a indie night called NoDisko - don't know much about it other than they do some cheap drink deals and seem to play a lot of electro and indie... more info

Probably loads more too, I havn't been a student in a few years now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭lala stone

flynnduism wrote: »
    What sort of music are you into? Indie is a very broadly used term these days ;) - whatever your preferences, you'll find good comprehensive gig listings on last.fm

http://www.last.fm/events

For regular club nights:

Upstairs in Doyles near Trinity on a Thursday night (not cheap though). Crowd mostly students, usually gets pretty messy as the night goes on.

Antics in Crawdaddy / POD on a Wednesday night (indie/electro) student night with good deals on drinks. Crowd can be a bit poser-ish though. info

Whelans is good to as mentioned above, but it gets very packed at the weekends and it's DJs tend to play the same 20 or so tracks day in day out.

Andrews Lane Theatre (ALT) has an indie night on Tuesdays called Thrashed, don't know much about it other than what's here.

Friday in The Academy is a indie night called NoDisko - don't know much about it other than they do some cheap drink deals and seem to play a lot of electro and indie... more info

Probably loads more too, I havn't been a student in a few years now!
    have u been to these places r are you just taking what u find on the net? Like the Academy is scarily young! like OP

• Advertisement

Kid V wrote: »
    The academy and the village are good for gigs

The Village is one of the worst places to see a gig. Avoid!

Low roof, small dancefloor, difficult to access toilets (when venue is full anyhow), and a noisy bar that you can often hear over the music. Grand for a DJ set or whatever, but not worth paying in to see a proper high-profile gig

Academy is a great little venue, but Academy 2 is rubbish, just a bar with a shoddy stage in the corner.

lala stone wrote: »
    have u been to these places r are you just taking what u find on the net? Like the Academy is scarily young! like OP

Been to most a fair bit but I'm not really familiar with the club nights in Academy & ALT, just passing on the info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

Trashed in ALT can get pretty good. Antics is ok but has kinda lost its touch.

I agree with ye flynnduism...what defines Indie these days?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭duckmusic

Check out some of the phantom nights

http://www.phantom.ie/entertainment/2471-first-friday--october-2nd-at-the-academy.html

Have been to a couple and they seem to be what your looking for. And they are free in if you go early so perfect for a student.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

Thanks, guys.

Sorry, I'm useless with classifying music genres, so i just say indie/alternative. Maybe some bands like Fight Like Apes, The Amazing Few..?
    Things like that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement