Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man with a silver 05 sporty Astra...

Options
  • 29-09-2009 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

...on the Ballinacurra road about 30 minutes ago.

A big well done to you whoever you are, you probably saved a young child's life with your reactions.

I was walking along the main Ballinacurra road on the right hand side heading out towards the Crescent shopping centre, when a silver astra driving on the road coming against me came skidding to a halt. The driver, a big guy with glasses and a goatee who looked in his 30's, literally leapt out of the car and sprinted across the road with a car coming against him, he scooped up something off of the road and landed on the footpath on the other side.

It was only as he started to get up that I realised that it was a tiny child of about two or three that he had grabbed from in front of the oncoming cars. The mother of the child had been standing nearby chatting and had not noticed the baby getting out of it's buggy.

He handed the child back to the mother who was pale faced as I think it sunk in how close her kid had come to dying, and then he came back across the road to his car, near where I was still standing, gobsmacked at how quick he stopped and reacted as he was a big lad.

He had a nice cut on his arm from where it must have hit the kerb, but he was not waiting around for applause, he just saved the kid, checked it was ok, and then got into the car and drove down into Ballinacurra gardens.

If anyone knows the guy, then he is a bit of a hero in my eyes and must be in the eyes of that mother too. If you come onto Boards, Silver Astra man, then well done once again to you, I hope that something great happens in your life for they way you reacted today.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Bloody hell, fair play to that guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 contraceptor

Jesus what an idoit! the mother that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Jesus what an idoit! the mother that is!

Yep you need a license to have a dog but anybody can have a child. :rolleyes:

Also, fair play to that guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Thats a great story and shows that there are some decent Limerick people ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Silver Astra man for president!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

You would have to question the reactions of the driver that was about to hit the baby, surely s/he must have seen it?

Fair play to silver astra man anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

nice to hear stories like this.

have a look out for headings on AH like, 'i saved someone today' or something along those lines..i would but im banned from there! :o

Thats a great story and shows that there are some decent Limerick people ;)

How do we know he was from Limerick? and whats that got to do with anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

Fair play to the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Legend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

krudler wrote: »

FFS Nothing but negativity towards limerick lately on this forum im glad there is an up beat thread for once!
    But still someone tries to put a negative twist on it:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Well done that man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Can't wait for the IrishVamp thread:

3 year old Child attacked by scumbag on Childers Rd

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

krudler wrote: »

I was only guessing he was local as he had a Limerick reg and pulled into the estate just off of the road.

Not that it matters where he is from, he still did what he did, and did not try to make a big deal about it afterwards.

The more I think about it though, the more I think I have seen him working somewhere before. He is pretty big and tall, so would stand out a bit.

Itsdacraic wrote: »

It was not on Childers Road :P

It was the Ballinacurra road near where the party shop is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Surely Vamp's thread would be more dramatic and edgy, like

"Three year old scumbag stabs rescuer in the arm, rescuer's car probably stolen and he'll no doubt die shortly from his wounds"

Fair play to the guy though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭irishleedsfan

Fair play to the guy. Hero.

FFS Nothing but negativity towards limerick lately on this forum im glad there is an up beat thread for once!
    But still someone tries to put a negative twist on it:rolleyes:

Not what I meant at all, why does it matter if he was/wasnt from Limerick? I did agree it was a great thing he did, just dont see why people have to be labelled, how about instead of "there are decent Limerick people" the poster said "there are decent human beings" would other people from Limerick have just let the kid get ran over?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

Classic:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭buttercupbee

I think the guy works in a bank and also is a bouncer.

A friend of mine dated the guy Im describing, same car (Astra) at the time, lived in Ballinacurra, though I never met him, it was over real quick ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I think the guy works in a bank and also is a bouncer.

A friend of mine dated the guy Im describing, same car (Astra) at the time, lived in Ballinacurra, though I never met him, it was over real quick ;)

Looks like she lost out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Good stuff,some good people left:)

if people dont like my posts on real life here in limerick dont read them,certain people seem to have a problem with me,a few bully boys.Who is the mod to contact here?

Anyho great story to start a day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Why are you making up silly comments like that?I dont make up lies about such serious matters,if you have a problem with me dont read my posts thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Contact the Leader to see if they can write an article to try & trace him. He deserves recognition for what he did

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

A real hero is someone who is not obliged to help but still does, no matter what the risk to himself.

Fair play to him, and he showed some amount of class by not hanging around for kudos.

Got a mail today from a boardsie who knows the guy.

He does live in Ballinacurra but never worked in a bank or as a bouncer.

His first name is Mike, and he used to work in the Crescent Shopping centre in one of the music shops.

The Boardsie who contacted me had the reg number right, and gave a perfect description of the guy.

So Mike, another well done to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mcloke

Well done to Mike :) and hopefully the toddlers mum has learnt a valuable lesson that she remembers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I'd like to put a new Toddler on the road somewhere and Shannon and see who can rescue it quicker - Man in Red Van - Roadworks Limerick to Shannon or Man with a silver 05 sporty Astra...
    Jumpy wrote: »
    Looks like she lost out :)

Yeah lots of Mammies wish they could let their kids play in traffic secure in the knowledge that their Hubby has a good run, scoop and dive manoeuvre.......!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭buttercupbee

Raiser wrote: »
    I'd like to put a new Toddler on the road somewhere and Shannon and see who can rescue it quicker - Man in Red Van - Roadworks Limerick to Shannon or Man with a silver 05 sporty Astra...

Yeah lots of Mammies wish they could let their kids play in traffic secure in the knowledge that their Hubby has a good run, scoop and dive manoeuvre.......!!!

That's not funny at all - be it about any hypothetical toddler or about two quick thinking men having a child saving competition.

Jumpy who said "she lost out" was in fact referring to my FRIEND who dated a guy of Astra man's description which the dating didnt work out
    and NOT about ANY mother wishing their child would play in traffic so as to be saved by a passer by.

Quite thoughtless. Tut tut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

*cough* what?

I meant she lost the chance with a hero. Nothing about kids and traffic at all.

Has this guy received the recognition he deserves yet?

Advertisement