Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Promoting an Event on a budget

Options
  • 29-09-2009 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

And by Budget I mean there isnt one :pac:

Any ideas how to go about promoting an event, anything creative or so simple we just might not think of it?

We'll be doing radio bits, are using twitter, facebook etc but really want to get the word out there as much as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭narkymarky

Not sure if this is new or not but it was something I'd never seen done before. I noticed last week on some of the paths, on the main streets, in Belfast that someone had set down a template and either powerwashed or scrubbed over it. What was left was the image of a car (alfa mito) and a strapline/slogan. Couldn't tell you when it was done or how long it lasted but they were really effective. Not sure that theres anything the council could do about it either - the image itself was created by cleaning a layer of dirt and grime off the paving slabs as opposed to applying something to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Yeah I've seen that done (when Whispa was re-released) and it looks good. Not sure how its done either but I'll look into it. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 AudreyLOL

It would depend on the nature fo the event you want to promote: where it is, what it is about, who do you want to attract to it etc etc.

The floor ad is original, but i'm guessing u have to pay the council for it. It also seems expensive enough to produce. Facebook and Twitter are good for attracting younger audiences, but it takes a longer time to create any buzz on the network.

Maybe if you give some more information about your event I could come up with ideas.

Well the event is in my sig here (another great way to spread the word :) ).

Ok the Paranormal isnt everyones cup of tea but being that its the halloween season we tend to get interest from people who wouldnt ususally be overly interested in the area.

Last year we had in in Clontarf Castle and while there was a great atmosphere we've moved it into the city centre (Radisson Blu Hotel near Christchurch) to make it easier for people to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

"Haunt" the main streets of Dublin in the middle of the day holding signs with the details?

Extra points if you can scare people enough to get mentioned on Joe Duffy :D

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 AudreyLOL

6th wrote: »
    Well the event is in my sig here (another great way to spread the word :) ).

I'm sorry, im a bit useless with technology, but where exactly is "here"? I can't find the info:confused:
    Sabre0001 wrote: »
    "Haunt" the main streets of Dublin in the middle of the day holding signs with the details?
    :D

That actually sounds like a good idea. I'm sure you can get some volunteers to perform, in scary customs, giving out leaflets to people that seem interested!

AudreyLOL wrote: »
    I'm sorry, im a bit useless with technology, but where exactly is "here"? I can't find the info:confused:

That actually sounds like a good idea. I'm sure you can get some volunteers to perform, in scary customs, giving out leaflets to people that seem interested!

You may have "signatures" (sigs) turned off - go to dropdown menus: boards.ie - User Settings - Edit Options. Then scroll down to 'Thread Display Options'. There is a checkbox with "Show Signatures".

Only reason I would avoid leaflets is it adds costs (plus adds to the chance of people littering / taking them but not being interested).

🤪

Oh you must not have the option to view sugnatures switched on. www.dublinparacon.com
    Sabre0001 wrote: »

Extra points if you can scare people enough to get mentioned on Joe Duffy :D

Yeah we handed out flyers last year and have talked about being a bit more theatrical with it this year.

I work just off Grafton street and only 2 minutes from the venue (Radisson Blu Hotel on Golden Lane) so will be heading out on my lunch breaks etc to push it.

I work indesign/print so 1000 flyers (arriving next week) cost very little. Handing them out to all the taxi drivers around dublin last year was great fun :D

6th wrote: »
    I work indesign/print so 1000 flyers (arriving next week) cost very little.

Hello my new favourite friend :D

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Send press relieces to papers, radio, mags ect.
    Get sponsorship:
    Sponsorship = Money
    Money = advertising.

Dress up as a ghost! Have a sign beside you ect, make a big fuss!

Advertisement