Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing a second degree as a mature student?

Options
  • 29-09-2009 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭

Hi there, I'm currently considering my options on whether to go back to college full time. As it is, I'm 26 and have an honours business degree. I'm not loving the world of business to be honest, and am getting a bit sick of being a desk slave.

Anyway, I've been looking into going back to study science full time. Some of the admissions people have told me that because I already hold a degree, I will be required to pay full fees. Does anyone have a ballpark figure for what these would be per year?

Any other thoughts on going back to college at this age? In one way, I'm looking forward to actually using my brain once again. Another part of me is a bit anxious considering the loss of earning, and having other things in life put on a hold for a while.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

As far as I know the figure for fees per year is around 7 grand for the science degree. I am currently in my 2nd year of a science degree at the age of 35 and to be honest it seems fine.

You being only 26 would still be relatively young to fit in with the younger matures, its like every other walk in life.... If you feel young you act young and vice versa.

As for being able to cope with it academically, it's actually better to be a bit older than the standard 18 years of age as the matures seem to get stuck in earlier and invariably avoid failing, usually:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Thanks for that. €7k is a bit higher than I was initially budgeting for. For some reason I had thought €3k-€4k per year but oh well, bye bye savings.

Advertisement