Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

App to block my own access to sites!

Options
  • 29-09-2009 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I've just started working from home from my own MacBook Pro (work on video editing) and the novelty of keeping my own hours and working from my own desk is seriously beginning to impact on the amount of work I'm getting done in a day - as in none. Self-discipline has never been been a part of my make-up so now I need to put something on my macbook to stop me using social networking sites and others during the day/ office hours.

Anyone got any suggestions...please?!

aineom.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭joconnell

Try leechblock for firefox - it'll redirect to a blank page for any sites you put on a list - plenty of options for days and ranges of hours to block the sites for.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

aineom wrote: »
    I've just started working from home from my own MacBook Pro (work on video editing) and the novelty of keeping my own hours and working from my own desk is seriously beginning to impact on the amount of work I'm getting done in a day - as in none. Self-discipline has never been been a part of my make-up so now I need to put something on my macbook to stop me using social networking sites and others during the day/ office hours.

aineom.

Honestly, anything you put on you can take off. Do you really think you are going to find a viable solution beyond better self control?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 aineom

Honestly, anything you put on you can take off. Do you really think you are going to find a viable solution beyond better self control?
    Really helpful thanks. It's more so as a reminder or flash card for myself that I'm being a slob than a strict block as such - kinda like sticking a photo of heavily obese people in swimsuits on your fridge door.

Cheers for leechblock, should be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

aineom wrote: »

aineom.

Just modify your host file in C:/windows/system32/drivers/etc I think

and redirect the sites you dont want to use back to localhost

e.g.

www.facebook.com 127.0.0.1

Again, this is easily undone. Self control should be the better option.

• Advertisement
Advertisement