Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where on a North Swell + North Winds

Options
  • 29-09-2009 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi,

I know its probably a bit early in the week but it looks like saturday will have a strong north swell and strong north winds. If forecasts stays the same until the weekend what beaches would work. I'm only family with Sligo area but would imagine Cork's cost would be best option with the wind but not sure about a north swell there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭rothai

as Mechwarrior says,keel could be good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭mechwarrior

yeah, i'd say keel or any beach facing south

but, then again, i'm only learning now how conditions work here in ireland

just make sure you keep all the data and check with the beach - and start making your personal log (i know i am :))

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bagus

North swell won't get into Cork no matter how big it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 abcjonesy

Thanks guys....

not sure if id make achill as Id be heading from dublin sat morning and back sun... but might try and convince a few friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

North West will unfortunately be completely blown out this weekend!!:mad::mad:

Keel would be the best option, Lahinch, Inch etc, either sheltered from the North or South facing.
    Achill is not much further if traveling straight from Dublin, what with road improvements

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭mechwarrior

so, just a heads up, keel wasn't so bad saturday - got some good waves in the morning, then it appeared it was going to die...

... 2h later we were getting some ok waves but still closing down on us very quickly...

then after a while was just a matter of choosing a nice wave but still not the best...

if the wind is blowing west it will destroy the waves i'd say - it has to be north-west or north - and it's uncertain in that spot as well...

wasn't too bad but if you're at least amateur you would want a bit better conditions

i still had loads of fun and that's what's all about :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Lahinch wasn't bad yesterday (for me), though the lull between sets was a bit too long..

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

It depends where the center of the Low is,if it's directly above northern ireland,then not much will get into Keel,although if the Low is positioned below greenland then more will get in.But a North/North combo is not ideal,wrap around comes into effect and only waves with the bigger wavelength get through,meaning less sets,less waves.

You need to go further than wind guru and the swell direction and look at the charts to see the position of the low.

Same applies for West swell,could be a west swell siting out off kerry or sitting off donegal,which one will hit easky????

Advertisement