Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Radio 1 Reception

Options
  • 29-09-2009 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Living in South Dublin - Dublin 14 to be precise.

Always have the radio on in the kitchen - on RTE 1, but over the last few weeks the reception hasnt been great.

There always seems to be a kind of background fuzz coming and going.

Have tried a different radio and same problem.

Anybody know what this could be? Or what is the ideal frequency?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

South Dublin, I'd expect 88.5MHz on FM to be the main frequency, with 89.1 and 87.8 as alternatives.

If its in the kitchen could certain appliances be causing interference to reception? You could see if there's a pattern. Also if you're listening in stereo, switch the reception to mono and see if that gets rid of the fuzz in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

DAB might be a solution. I have a small portable DAB/FM radio. In areas where I have experienced interference on FM, DAB has worked fine. Also on DAB, as well as the RTÉ FM services, you get some addtional DAB only services, including RTÉ Choice, which provides english language programmes from international public service broadcasters such as BBC, Deutsche Welle and Radio France.

You should be able to pick up a reasonably priced DAB/FM radio from Powercity (best offers on-line).

Otherwise, there is LW252.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you live on the southside check that's it's tuned to 88.5 Mhz which is Three Rock, that has to be the best frequency. Someone might have retuned it to another station and then back to RTE 1 but they might have tuned it to Mt. Leinster (88.6) or Kippure (89.1) neither of which will be as good as Three Rock.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I have a Sony clock radio next to my bed that has a wire as the aerial. If it is not placed exactly right, I get Radio 2 swamping the 88.5 transmission. Is R2 so strong or is the radio so bad. The aerial input is about 5mm from the mains lead. I have tried a ferrite bead on the mains lead but it makes no difference.
    I find reception of Radio 1 to be poor inside my house in general, I live in Dublin 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

I have a Sony clock radio next to my bed that has a wire as the aerial. If it is not placed exactly right, I get Radio 2 swamping the 88.5 transmission. Is R2 so strong or is the radio so bad. The aerial input is about 5mm from the mains lead. I have tried a ferrite bead on the mains lead but it makes no difference.
    I find reception of Radio 1 to be poor inside my house in general, I live in Dublin 4.
    Probably a combo of both. Alarm clock radios are not built to very high standards (certainly none I know of). It would be unlikely that the mains lead would have an effect here. Without looking at it or knowing more, overloading from a strong signal is I reckon the culprit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

I get Radio 2 swamping the 88.5 transmission

BBC or RTE ???

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    BBC or RTE ???

88.5 is RTE Radio 1, and it is swamped by RTE Radio 2FM. I can see the RTE mast in Donneybrook from my house. The radio has a puny aerial consisting of a 40cm bit of wire that hangs out of the back next to the mains input. Without care, the RTE2 swamps the radio. I do not know where it comes from but it could be the Cablelink feed that runs across the front of my house. (Cablelink installed the cable when Adam was a lad some 400 years ago.) I am amazed at the obvious strength of the 2FM signal in comparison with the RTE1 signal. On the other hand it could be a crap radio, but the radio is made by a very reputable Japanese company that is known for the quality of their products.

Other radios in the house also have a similar problem with 88.5. Also 89.1 is not very strong signal.

I would need a spectrun analyzer to get the actual levels, this is all very subjective, but is quite apparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭nikon1000

88.5 is RTE Radio 1, and it is swamped by RTE Radio 2FM. I can see the RTE mast in Donneybrook from my house. The radio has a puny aerial consisting of a 40cm bit of wire that hangs out of the back next to the mains input. Without care, the RTE2 swamps the radio. I do not know where it comes from but it could be the Cablelink feed that runs across the front of my house. (Cablelink installed the cable when Adam was a lad some 400 years ago.) I am amazed at the obvious strength of the 2FM signal in comparison with the RTE1 signal. On the other hand it could be a crap radio, but the radio is made by a very reputable Japanese company that is known for the quality of their products.

Other radios in the house also have a similar problem with 88.5. Also 89.1 is not very strong signal.

I would need a spectrun analyzer to get the actual levels, this is all very subjective, but is quite apparent.
    Yes, it maybe the Cablelink cable leaking in your area. Analogue cable systems can also carry FM radio using ordinary FM band frequencies. Perhaps the cable company carries 2FM on a frequency very close to 88.5MHz.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

From where I live (north Kerry) RTE Radio1 is only half the power of Today FM, why is this so? You would imagine Radio 1 would have a stronger signal!
    Radio 1 output is 1kw, when activated in 2000 it was 2kw, this is the power of Today FM and its fantastic.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We don’t drag up old threads

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement