Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quoting content from other sources?

Options
  • 29-09-2009 8:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭

I'm wondering what's the deal with quoting content from other sources on my website. Say I had a website about soccer and I want to have a news section in this website. Is it possible to quote articles or use an RSS feed from other sites such as sky sports and BBC sport or would this be strictly illegal? If so is there anywhere on the net where I could obtain 'free' sports news articles that could be quoted on my site legally?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Check the copyright notices on the source site. Some of the news sites will allow some usage of their RSS etc., but you'd need to check

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭whizgremlin

a good rule of thumb, always seek permission before you use someone elses material therefore you can't go wrong...keep a copy of the correspondence also for your own records incase they rescind on the goodwill authorisation!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

And obviously, always attribute the quote to the source

Advertisement