Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"In This Light and On This Evening" - Editors

Options
  • 29-09-2009 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭

It leaked on other sites this evening having been put on a streaming site this morning. Been waiting for ages for it so heres a quick review.

1. In This Light and On This Evening: Slow burning tune with maniacal rhythm with equally maniacal voice from Smith. Excellent intro song.

2. Bricks and Mortar: Already a favourite with fans live despite being only played a few times during the summer. One of the standout lyrical tracks. "This house is more than bricks and mortar" Destined to become an Editors live classic.

3. Papillon: Already discussed in another thread.

4. You Dont Know Love: The electro beat has been lowered in terms of volume compared to the live version and it might take away from it just a little. "You ran with the dead today, with the moles from the CIA". Still another excellent track.

5. The Big Exit: A consistent and haunting drum beat accompanies electro harmonies that gather beats as the song continues. Smith's lyrics flow flawlessly interwoven within the beat "They took what once was ours". Excellent track.

6. The Boxer: Probably my standout track. An absolutely blinding track. From the wind up toy box-esque opening melody to the dark lyrics. The sharp synth that enters from time to time is another highlight of the song. "Im attracted to the night, im attracted to the heat. Its a violent night, there are boxers in the street" Outstanding track.

7. Like Treasure: Probably the track with the most mainstream, poppiest hook on the album. Not saying thats a bad thing, just thought if it was a bit heavier on the synths, it plays a bit safe, it might have been even better. "You are what you eat, you'll become digested" Still a top track though.

8. Eat Raw Meat = Blood Drool: Destined to become the second single IMO. One of the more unusual tracks you'll hear this year considering the sudden musical arc Editors have taken with this album. An evil sounding intro sets the tone for the song and it delivers without fail throughout. It switches midway through the song and completely excels at every turn. "You're chewing with an open mouth, raw meat, your blood drool attracts the flies". Amazing.

9. Walk The Fleet Road: One of the most haunting songs Smith has ever written and the best end song on any of their albums. It already has been popular when played live and it dosent disappoint when put on record. Smith's deep vocals have never been better and its almost his voice has been made for a song like this. "No push and no shove, spill your verbal maze. Hate cant turn to love, not for this human race". Astounding.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

When's the album actually out ? I have managed to find a definitive date, obviously want to get it before the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Jip wrote: »
    When's the album actually out ? I have managed to find a definitive date, obviously want to get it before the gig.

12 October. Although might be a bit earlier for Ireland whenever shops decide to start selling it.

Gig is gonna be outstanding though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Just gave it a first listen and there's nothing that really stood out as being 'exciting'.

I'll definitely give it more airplay obviously so hopefully it's a grower.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Sútalún

Given it a good few listens over the last few days.
    Good solid album. Except for Smith's vocals and lyrics the sound is nearly unrecognisable.. Synth-laden; almost like some of new Order or Depeche Mode. Still a fairly unique sound though. In saying that I would like more guitars.

Boxer, Bricks and Morter, You don't know love, Eat raw meat..some of the best songs they've done. I still think it's a lacking a guitar heavy track or two.

As usual some of Smith's vocals are kinda cringeworthy (my opinion!). Still a better album then a lot of the mainstream stuff out there. And still one of my favourite bands out at the moment. Gutted I couldn't get tickets for Dublin.. Was away at the time. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 LucyWantsABand!

I love these guys! They are fantastic- and no-one I know has even heard of them!! Their sound is really different, because of the vocals-which are NOT cringey!! How could you say that and still be commenting on a thread about them??! The vocals make the band.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Their sound is really different because of the vocals?

Interpol?
    Joy Division?

No bells? ;)

Advertisement