Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Screenwash

Options
  • 28-09-2009 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭

Hi,i got my first car recently. Can anyone recommend good screenwash,or are they all much of a muchness?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Group test HERE

I use the Wurth screen wash, it comes in a single shot that you add to a full tank.

It's all much of a muchness, unless you get a lot of insects on the screen, pretty much any of them will do.

A classic, VINEGAR. Just a cap full in the water bottle. Takes away all the rough greasey sh1te! Great stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

smells a bit though :(

Not when its diluted, and you'll be inside the car anyway. You won't smell anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

talk about a tight arse

:rolleyes:

nice idea tho...:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Fairy liquid + water.

If I'm feeling posh I'll buy some screen wash.
    I remember the man in the auto parts gave me some. Not too sure why but hey it was free and smelt nice through the vents!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

sorted,just ordered sonax clear view on ebay...got great reviews...maybe i'll throw in a dash of vinegar also!
    cheers guys...

talk about a tight arse

:rolleyes:

nice idea tho...:P

Ya, I even steal the sachets from the local chipper! :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

congo_90 wrote: »
    Fairy liquid + water.

I remember the man in the auto parts gave me some. Not too sure why but hey it was free and smelt nice through the vents!

Washing up liquid will fook up your paint/wax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Washing up liquid will fook up your paint/wax.

Wash and wax regularly prevents it. Also when doing say 60km/h+ most of it will blow off or evaporate or do no real harm if used in the correct concentration: not too much!

though I do agree with you. I wouldn't wash the car in the stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you are cheap, Pingo sell 1 litre bottles of screenwash, you can buy one of those squeezy measuring bottles and refill it 4 times.
    I think I paid 8 euro for a litre of the stuff.
    Have a look out for Lidl they sell 5 litres bottles of anti-freeze screenwash as well this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Now guys...lets be clear here (pun intended).

In my 30 years of driving experience, one screen wash works
    better than anything else.....Clearalex Powder..it comes in sachets (not the liquid stuff).

ALL and I mean ALL of the other screen washes leave a film of one kind or another on the screen and on a dark wet night, this will cause glare on the windscreen from the headlights of cars travelling in the opposite direction. Clearalex powder doesnt leave any residue on the screen. Try it once....

One tip, when you fill the washer bottle, run the windscreen wipers and screen wash for a few seconds, wetting the wiper blades. Take a piece of tissue and clean the blades...you'll probably see a black deposit from the dirty blades.

Second tip....change your blades before they wear out.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

congo_90 wrote: »
    Fairy liquid + water.

Fairy Liquid has salt in it which is corrosive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

I got one there from Lidl for €2.99, W5 i think it was. Apple flavour, nice fresh scent.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Baron_Kunkel

teednab-el wrote: »
    I got one there from Lidl for €2.99, W5 i think it was. Apple flavour, nice fresh scent.

That apple scent W5 is disgusting......the smell of it made my kids go crazy any time I sprayed the windscreen (so it had its plus side!).....awful stuff though.....avoid.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

x3 for the lidl/aldi screen wash being brutal, i tried it and it leaves a nasty film on the windscreen. Im using Autoglym screenwash at the minute and it does the trick without leaving any residue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I use Fairy or Vinegar. We are talking about on windows so I don't see why people are worried too much about the salt etc

I only change the screen wash every month or even less.
    teednab-el wrote: »

I hate that Lidl flavour too. Smoked cod rubbed across a Vinegar cleaned windows is much better ;)

edit: typo

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

As above water and one or two cups of white vinegar works just fine. So far never froze and way cheaper than the fancy stuff but just as good.

Advertisement