Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cascais Peniche or Ericeira

Options
  • 28-09-2009 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

Going to Portugal for a week in October,looking to book some surf lessons will be on my own. Looking at Cascais Peniche or Ericeira
    Probably won't hire a car so public transport there needed.

I want somewhere relaxed with comfortable accommodation (had my fill of crazy snoring strangers in hostels), I don't really care about night life a glass of wine after surfing all day and I'll be wrecked.Ill probably book a week but only plan to be Surfing Sun-Friday. I had a look at the surf school post but not looking at camping or hostels this trip
    Any suggestions ? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

I stayed in Ericeira recently. Was very pleased with it.

There was a group of 4 - we stayed in a self catering apt witch was really modern - I can't recommend as there was a stinky sewage smell in it. We met loads of people who stayed in the eco-lodges and they all loved it, but when we looked at prices when we came back it seemed a bit pricey - though in October they could be offering deals.

We did lessons with NaOnda surf school - they had a decent selection of boards. It was around €100 for six lessons. If you tell them you have a board already they'll try and fix you up with something similar

The group i was with were happy with the lessons - though I felt I'd reached the limit of what I was going to learn from them toward the end of the week - they didn't want people going out back to the better waves, which is understandable from a safety perspective and focussing on what the core-group want to do. But frustrating for me and a few of the other boys and girls. Regardless of this minor complaint - it's really noticeable what a solid week of surfing will do for you.

Book in advance as I'm not sure when the lads said they'd be winding up for the winter - there are a few other surf schools out there - your google is as good as mine.

We did have a car - without one you'll be doing a lot of walking between town, the beach and the supermarket. It is possible to get a bus there - but make sure you get decent directions to your accommodation and that it's close enough to the bus. Bring some reflective bands and a torch if you plan to walk at night -as out of the town centre there are a lot of unlit roads. It'll be hard to get out of town if you get bored etc... without a car.

Lunch is as cheap to buy in a cafe as it would be to buy the gear in the supermarket.

There are not many pubs or clubs - but the ones there will stay open late if they have a crowd. Plenty of restaurants - i hope you're not a vegetarian - plenty of fish and steak and black pork - surprisingly very little chicken on the menus.

Cascais is more urban - we visited for a day - personally i was glad i didn't stay there - though it may be less boring an easier on the public transport. Didn't see Peniche

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭mechwarrior

hi bleary,

going to portugal as well from 9th to 14th

monday i'll be traveling south to see my parents so sunday it's the only day i would try to get into the water (picking my custom bodyboard that friday so can't wait to try it)

if you're around the same time let me know

as for where to go, i'd say peniche - great surf school and you'll get better conditions without having to travel far, opposed to lisbon coast

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AntHraxEater

You could stay in Baleal .. www.penichesurfcamp.com are good crowd. Even though they're called 'Peniche Surf Camp' they are actually 15 minutes north in Baleal. Nicer place if you ask me.. Check this thread for info.

Advertisement