Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you happy you became a doctor?

Options
  • 28-09-2009 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

Hi guys, this is directed at qualified doctors, psychiatrists, dermatologists and every other field under the medical umbrella. I know the med students are eager to give their input, but I'd appreciate it if you left it to those that have qualified! :)

Basically, knowing what you now know, would you choose to become a doctor again, or would you follow a different path, and why?

Knowing what you now know, would you become a doctor again? 3 votes

yes, I'd do it all again!
    0% 0 votes
    no, I'd follow a different path entirely
    100% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Happy at what I am doing but would probably follow a different ( shorter) path to get here. Wasted a lot of years going the wrong way - would have left Ireland a lot earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I'd be the same as traumadoc. I'd have spent less of the early years worrying about getting jobs in tertiary centres etc, and would have probably gone into public health earlier. That would have meant I was younger when I was talking about doing overseas development work etc.
    I'd also have come to Oz earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

yep, im happy and would do it all again.

there's no other career i would ratehr have.

im lucky in that i knew i wanted to do psychiatry and i went into it straight after intern year, so ive pretty much been doing what i wanted to do since i qualified. some of my friends changed direction after a few years and they'll be another while getting where they want to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Narkius Maximus

Yeah it's been a blast. College was easy in that I thoroughly enjoyed learning so was always prepared for exams. Internship was enjoyable-I loved the comraderie, the hard work, the bitching about everyone and everything. Went straight into surgery, BST was a blast, now in year 2 of M.D. research and enjoying that too. TBH if you don't get too stressed about things and apply yourself everyday to what you are doing it's easy!

Advertisement