Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning Hard Drive

Options
  • 28-09-2009 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

I'm quite new here.

At my age (not tellin') I consider myself a dab hand using computers/internet etc. However, I have an old computer (its hooge!!) and I want to delete everything on it before I hand it on, but I was told no matter how much I delete files there is always going to be stuff left on the hard drive. I was also told I would have to buy special software to clean off the hard drive. Can some kind person here please advise me with this problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭The Oggmonster

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Yes, you need special software to completely erase your hard drive, but you don't need to buy it.

Try this, iirc it's free

http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/SecureErase.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭whizgremlin

Hmm, well why dont u give the computer away and keep the hard drive? hard drives relatively cheap nowadays!

no matter what program you choose are you going to be completely satisfied everything is gone forever? In this day and age no matter what program you choose its going to leave some traces of files behind! it all sounds very mysterious to me, hmm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thanks a lot Oggmonster and Blackhorse. However, Whizgremlin I have to clear out so much junk I don't want to hang onto the hard drive but if I have to, then I have to.

Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭whizgremlin

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Thanks a lot Oggmonster and Blackhorse. However, Whizgremlin I have to clear out so much junk I don't want to hang onto the hard drive but if I have to, then I have to.

Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

well, if i really wanted to get rid of that hard drive I would carry out an unconditional format and do that about 5 times...that would satisify me that everything would be gone...but again u would need to be in the know for that to happen...

Ranish Partition Manager is good, usually its for partitioning drives but ive used it for the format process also, its good ..... but hoping they arent expert/genius computer technicians I would send it on and forget about it otherwise keep it... but goodluck anyway hope it works out for you..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

If there are only a small number of files/folders that are really sensitive (and usually that is all there will be), it might be worthwhile installing a file shredder to begin with, and shred them from within the OS.

After that, uninstall all your installed programs, delete folders you've created, leaving just a bare OS, then copy huge amounts of data to the disk (from CDs or DVDs) to fill it up, and then just delete those folders. Do this several times, then make a dban bootdisk, and run that on the disk.

If you're still concerned/paranoid about your data being recovered after this, then get some nails and a hammer, and drive the nails through the platters. Wear safety glasses if doing this.

Would be a shame to waste a good disk though. If it's only going to be used for light work after you, it makes more sense to clean it and keep it in the original PC. If it's old, it's probably IDE - harder to come by these days, and I think (per GB) more expensive than SATA.

After cleaning, you could install the OS again (or transplant to another PC), and a file recovery program, and see if you can recover your files.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

It's not possible to 'erase' completely - Am I right? Don't these programs just 'cover' every sector on the disk with either entirely 1's or 0's? As far as I know, a truly 'blank' disk can only exist when it's just come off the production line and has never been used for anything before.

Advertisement