Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europe creating greencollar jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

You're using this as a Pro-Lisbon bullet point..?

I'd just like to say that Ireland would have gotten this loan regardless of any impending EU treaty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

You're using this as a Pro-Lisbon bullet point..?

I'd just like to say that Ireland would have gotten this loan regardless of any impending EU treaty.

yes it highlights exactly what we should expect more of in future

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    yes it highlights exactly what we should expect more of in future

Yes, regardless of any treaty or the outcome of such

I think it's unfair to try to make people believe that the only way to ensure that the EU will continue to support initiatives in Ireland is by having them vote Yes to Lisbon.

If anything this story reinforces the fact that Ireland and the EU are harmonious without any new treaty being ratified, and saying "well that'll change if we vote No" is scaremongering, and if true it shines the EU in a very bad light

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Lisbon makes fighting climate change a legal requirement of the Union, which can be used to push for more and more of such projects, more even, than were planned anyway.

Without the ability to predict the future completely, surely you can at least see the logic?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The European Investment Bank said Monday it is to lend up to 500 million euros (730 million dollars) to Ireland to boost wind power and also fund an undersea power link with Britain.
    The EIB, describing it as the first loan for an "EU recovery plan energy project", said it will improve security of supply and facilitate competition by connecting the Irish electricity market with the rest of Europe.
    The loans bring total EIB support for Ireland this year to 850 million euros, almost double the total of 450 million euros in 2008.

http://www.energy-daily.com/reports/Ireland_wins_EU_loans_to_boost_green_energy_999.html

Another first for Ireland!
    Go Ireland!
    Twice as much as in 2008! Yeah!
    Seems we are getting great help at the moment from the EU and maybe should not jeopardise our good relations with the EU in the upcoming vote on Lisbon.

It doesn't say what the interest rate is though .... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭atheist

Interconnects like this increese options and prospects
    From simple barter, both parties are better off, getting what they want.
    Eventually with technological improvements, the cost of power will fall, we will have smart metering, with communities and households powering their own grids. Isolation increeses the risk and consiquences of blackout.
    Sulking in the corner won't work
    Vote Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Tarobot

Exactly.

The Lisbon Treaty creates the proper environment and regulatory framework to foster green-collar jobs in Ireland. The objectives set out in Lisbon for the fight against climate change, energy efficiency, renewables etc, will all require investment and promotion.

Green investments means green jobs and Ireland is perfectly positioned to attract this investment through our extensive natural resources (wind, wave and tidal).

Advertisement