Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dEUS

• 28-09-2009 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭

I bought Worst Case Scenario back in 1994 and loved it and spent many hours listening to it and going to clubs where they played it. But I never saw them live or bothered to follow dEUS career.

The other day I was looking at music videos on youtube and dEUS popped up so I starting looking at all their old stuff from other albums and was blown away and started kicking myself that I didn't follow them. So I did what any right minded person does and ordered their entire back catalogue and am awaiting for them to come through my door! :D

I can't get some of the songs out of my head, like Roses, or Instant Street or Fell off the floor man, or even The Architect or Eternal Woman (which is a radical departure I know, but quite a good pop song).

Anyone else want to talk about their greatness? I really am annoyed I didnt get into them earlier but better late than never.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

yeah, would like to have seen them live. their latest album is average, apparently.
    ideal crash is a great album, instant street possibly one of the best indie rock songs from the 90s?

there was a Dutch website that used to have loads of free concerts from a venue in Amsterdam (can't remember what it's called now), that got closed down a few months back. (record companies gave out about losing money from it). Anyways, it had a full Deus concert (and Elbow amonst others) that was pretty good....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

Same as cinammon: got the first album wcs, thought it was great but didn't really follow them after hat. A friend of mine saw them when they played at oxegen and said it was one of the best gigs he's ever been at, despite not knowing much of their stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭cinnamon

seachto7 wrote: »
    there was a Dutch website that used to have loads of free concerts from a venue in Amsterdam (can't remember what it's called now),

Probably the Melkweg?

Am currently listening to In a Bar Under the Sea and am so impressed. It sounds so fresh. For some reason I always thought dEUS were one-album wonders and anything released after WCS wasn't great. How wrong I was.

I should be getting Ideal Crash any day now, but will put off listening to it for a while so I can digest Bar under Sea a bit more. If anyone hasn't listened to dEUS - seriously listen to their stuff - your ears are in for a treat! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Have their Ideal Crash album. A must have. And I like the fact that they are called dEUS and not Deus :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Lol look at my xbox gamer tag below :)

1st album I got was 'in a bar under the sea' after seeing little arithmetics and roses on no disco all those years ago. Been a huge fan since.

In a bar.. or the Ideal Crash are my favorites.

Big fan as I am everytime deus release a new album they seem to change and evolve ... in a good way. but I always end up not liking a new album by them so much at 1st, but really grow to love it when I go back to them.

Dream sequence #1 is a good example of a song i instantly disliked but now it's one of my favorites.

I've seen them live a few times over the years, last time was at tripod a year or so ago. They where fantastic. 1st time i saw them was on the ideal crash tour in the olympia. They havent done headline shows here nearly often enough :( I even went to see blur in the point years ago just to see deus support them. Saw tom do some solo shows also , think it was in the academy but maybe was still HQ at the time.

Edit : classic dEUS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDZKk5Dgb6U wont let me embed :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I’m a big dEUS fan. Got into them through No Disco but started with the Ideal Crash. It wasn’t until I got their earlier albums a few years later that I remembered all their videos from No Disco. Eventually saw them live when they toured Pocket Revolution, great gig in the Ambassador. Caught them twice since, Oxegen 08 & Tripod. They are a brilliant live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭cinnamon girl

I love this band.

When I lived in San Francisco in the 1990s they used to play there all the time and I seemed to always be sick or something :( Only finally got the chance to see them at Tripod awhile back - fantastic performance but I'm not as much of a fan of their more recent work.

Worst Case Scenario
    and In A Bar Under The Sea are their best - the latter particularly. "Roses" is one of my all-time favourite songs ever. They finished with it at Tripod, I can't describe what an experience it was!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

dEUS are a cracking band, like many of the posters I started with WCS about 1992.

Ideal Crash is by far the best album, their high point and definitely in my top 5 favourite albums. Pocket Revolution is pretty good, but apart from a coupe of songs, I don't like the latest one Vantage Point.

I regret to say I've never seen them live....but would love to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 gasolinehorsey

i have loved dEUS a long time, not so much lately though

wcs and in a bar under the sea are amazing albums, but i think most the albums after that are patchy

they lost their spontaniousness when stef carlens left, tom barman doesn't have the same imagination on his own

stef went on to form zita swoon, now they are a band worth checking out, amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭cinnamon

I love this band.

When I lived in San Francisco in the 1990s they used to play there all the time and I seemed to always be sick or something :( Only finally got the chance to see them at Tripod awhile back - fantastic performance but I'm not as much of a fan of their more recent work.

Worst Case Scenario
    and In A Bar Under The Sea are their best - the latter particularly. "Roses" is one of my all-time favourite songs ever. They finished with it at Tripod, I can't describe what an experience it was!!!

Great username cinnamon girl! Although my name is from a Stone Roses song, still a big Neil Young fan.

I am listening to Ideal Crash and it hasnt got to me the way Bar Under The Sea did. Everytime I listen to BAR, the more I am in love with it. There are so many styles on that album and most songs are so multilayered. But I will give Crash more time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Hackysack

Sorry for the bump but I just have to say that I agree with most has been said.

I'm a huge dEUS fan and I love most of their stuff (i don't like Vantage Point, the exception being for one or two songs), but they played Tripod about a year ago now.

They're a fantastic band live and they put on a brilliant show. My first time seeing them was Electric Picnic a couple of years ago where I was up at the front and I later met Mauro and Tom which was brilliant.

They'll be playing again when they do a tour so make sure you get a ticket. It's definitely worth the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Hackysack wrote: »
    They're a fantastic band live and they put on a brilliant show. My first time seeing them was Electric Picnic a couple of years ago where I was up at the front and I later met Mauro and Tom which was brilliant.

They'll be playing again when they do a tour so make sure you get a ticket. It's definitely worth the money

were you at the Hotpress Chatroom for them that year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Hackysack

Yes. Yes I was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

great band....saw them 3 times... ill never forget the first time....it was in the mean fiddler (now the village)....i was up the front but, needed to go to the bar as they were playing a quiet song and the crowd was calm....two seconds later they went into 'suds and soda' and the whole place went ****ing nuts....i didnt get to the bar for a while....:pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

got my deluxe edition of newly remastered 'worst case scenario' in the post today 2xCD + 1xDVD, well worth it even if you have the original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I watched the film Ex-Drummer last night, a Belgian film.
    One of the songs that I liked was Blow by Ghinzu. It seemed very similar to dEUS, have a listen. (They're both from Belgium so I can understand the influence)

Advertisement