Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learner's Permit - Am I still insured driving on my own?

Options
  • 28-09-2009 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hey, Iv got my learners permit and Im insured 3rd Party. However am I still insured if I drive without a person with a full licence beside me? I no I can be fined by the Gardai for driving without a person with full licence beside me, but lets say I have an accident....does my insurance still cover me, even though Iv broken the law?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Alz®

You'd be better off asking your insurance company or the Gardai themselves, im really not sure...

I guess your insurance would be non void if you are required to have a qualified driver at all times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 sarsarsar

AFAIK you are still insured. Heard this question being asked before when law came in for learner drivers. It was said learner drivers are still covered by insurance, even though they are breaking the law.

If a fully licenced driver was speeding and breaking the law and crashed they would still be covered. Same for learners breaking the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Your insurance would cover the Other Party (if you are liable) but would not have to cover you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

No, your license isn't valid, so your insurance won't cover you. It'll cover any damage to the other driver though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

taram wrote: »
    No, your license isn't valid, so your insurance won't cover you. It'll cover any damage to the other driver though.

But it's Third Party insurance anyway?

I know a guy who had an accident when driving on his own on a provisional licence. Nothing was covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

According to my insurance company, who I asked just for the sake off it as I have a full licence, said it makes no odds, they will still be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭afatbollix

3rd party only.. and they will have the option to get the costs back through the courts..

Its the same as lying on the form when you are appying for insurance..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ENTIRELY down to your insurance firm whether they cover your losses or not.

I believe Quinn still provide full cover, unaccompanied or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Your insurance company will have to pay out to the other party and will probably pay out for you as well. The only way to know for sure if to ring your insurance company as they will have full details of your policy.

I would suggest you get the name of the person you speak to and note the time/date or else ask via email.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I worked for an insurance company that didn't cover unaccompanied provisional drivers (except second prov) for personal damages before the Learner Permit came in, I can't see them covering it now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Sigh, these threads pop up about once or twice a month, and the consensus is always the below.
    Ring your insurer and ask, or read through the policy docs.
    Random wrote: »
    The only way to know for sure if to ring your insurance company as they will have full details of your policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 1059007

Hum, sarsarsar makes a good point! if your speeding, your breaking the law but your still covered! Ill ring up my insurance and ask them, just to make sure! Just wanna make sure the other party is covered just in case!

Cheers everyone :)

Advertisement