Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview for mature student midwifery

Options
  • 28-09-2009 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi all I'm thinking of applying for midwifery as a mature student but as there is so little places allocated for mature students and I wouldn't have enough points so I really want to put my best effort forward. And I was wondering if anyone would have any advice or help or tips on how to answer the questions.
    Thanks a mil

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭..Summergirl..

Hiya athlone M,

There is on this forum some discussions about how to apply for midwifery. Try to look at DkIT section, there is topic '' midwifery as a mature student'' and as well try rollercoaster. Place's are really limited, but people still getting in. If you put all your best i believe you can make it. Try to put all your best at aptitude test. Start practicing from now till the test day. Buy good books, or borrow them from your local library. If you pass aptitude test, then you'll fly at the interview.

Good luck with your application

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Firstly, you only get an interview of you pass the written test. You find this out about two or three weeks before the interview.

The interview isn't so bad. The preparation for it takes time, but the the interview itself is OK.

A week before you are sent a questionnaire for the interview, there are 5 sections to this e.g. motivation, responsibility etc. You are asked to give an example of each of one (that you have carried out in real life), but during the interview you are asked for ANOTHER that isn't written down.

You are asked of challenged you have faced with each section, and how you have overcome each. They also ask a good few questions about what you hae said.

Oh, you are interviewed by three people at once, but it isnt intimidating at all, they were all very pleasant, give you water and tell you to relax and stuff :)

You are asked about your understanding of the course and the modules as a separate section.

You either pass or fail the interview. Simple as that :)

If you have any more questions, please ask.

I did (and passed) the interview this year :)

And make sure you'll have good night sleep before the test. I was nervous and couldn't sleep properly. Mine test was at 9 in the morning in the Clork park. I wish I had good night sleep before I step there. Because when I got there, I've got an awful headache, and that made me not to concentrate on my last section.

Test isn't that bad, only time was limited, especially when you are going to do math. I think it was only 15-20 min, and there is loads, absolutely loads to do. Easiest way to get a good score is to practice. I found puzzles, sudoku are fantastic way to sharpen your memory and it helps to work quick with the numbers. Oh, I'm going to apply next year or after next year, Hopefully.

LadyE, you don't mind me to ask you:), are you doing nursing or midwifery now?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 misschatty

Hi there i too did test and interview last year, found maths part of test the hardest part. The interview was fine passed both but didnt get an offer was gutted have to say, but on ways and upwards. I am now doing a full time pre nursing course( which i lv and am finding it very intersting) and i will be applyin this year again through matue and fetac so hoepfully its my year- i hope to do genral nursing in dublin.:) Fingers and toes crossed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It may sounds strange, but there is lots of people who will make fantastic nurse and midwife, but they couldn't get in because of the silly test. If you fail then you have to wait till next year!! I've read on the StudentMidwifeNET- forum how one girl (now she is student midwife), did not pass the math and was still called for an interview, and because the interviewers saw how she was passionate they offered her a place. Here, candidate sometimes will pass both aptitude and interview and still not secured a place:(, not to talk about not to pass an aptitude test. And also I think the CAO shouldn't judge people base on test. It's really unfair. I also found that math is the hardest part of the test, or maybe more like a tricky, and time is really limited. Lots of people were worried about the math when I went for the test. And lots of them did not finished even half of it. And the other thing which nearly killed me at that day, when they ordered like in a military camp; All pencils put down!! I'm going to try 3 times, if I'll not get a place, then my destiny will be as a HCA for ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

LadyE, you don't mind me to ask you:), are you doing nursing or midwifery now?

Sorry for the late reply!

Am doing nursing, well, got offered nursing in first round offers but deferred for a year :)

Advertisement