Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question on Morris Roundabout, Galway

Options
  • 28-09-2009 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭

Morris Roundabout, Galway

Google map here

Coming from the bottom there (Ballybane Road), and going straight up, there are 2 lanes, should I be going in the left lane or right lane?

Note:
    - The exit is a bit after 12 o'clock (5 past 12 ;) )
    - First exit is a dual carriageway.

what do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

It's close enough to the ideal ROTR 4 way roundabout, so if there are no weird roadmarkings, I'd use the left lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

If you are going straight i.e. where grey lines are, it should be the left hand lane. Any turn after that it would be right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Personally, I'd use the right lane. It's a right turn as it's not left or straight. But frankly, it points to the weakness of the rule because it'd less than clear.

There is no ideal ROTR 4 way roundabout. This is a myth. The pictures in the ROTR are misleading, but careful reading of the wording is what's needed to see that the "4 way" rounadabout layout isn't needed to follow the rules.

Question to the OP - Do you think it's relevant that the first exit is a dual carriageway? I ask as you specifically mention that it is.

Another question on this junction. Why do drivers coming from the West on the N6, Bothar na dTreabh (a dual carriageway), heading East, think it's ok to enter the roundabout in the overtaking lane and then continue in that lane onto the N6 i.e. to the left? In other words, entering the roundabout in the left lane and exiting left! This seems to be accepted practice in Galway.

Can't believe I've gotten into another Roundabout "discussion" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭rocky

It's a bit weird to be in the left lane, because you have to go on the outside of the roundabout, cross the exit for the dual carriageway, then the incoming traffic from the dual c/way which cuts you off if you're in the outmost lane...

But if that's the law, we shall follow it ;)

rocky wrote: »
    It's a bit weird to be in the left lane, because you have to go on the outside of the roundabout, cross the exit for the dual carriageway, then the incoming traffic from the dual c/way which cuts you off if you're in the outmost lane...

But if that's the law, we shall follow it ;)

Sorry Rocky, but would that same traffic not cut across you if you were in the other lane? It's just not relevant. The rule is left or straight, left lane. Right - right lane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Murphy09

nealry sure on a roundabout 1st exit you should take the left lane and indicate left on approach, 2nd exit take the left lane also but dont signal until you have gone past the exit before it, i.e the 1st exit, and for the 3rd or higher exit take the right hand lane signaling right then signal left after the exit before the one you want to take, i.e indicate right onto the roundabout then after the 2nd exit signal left for the 3rd exit check your mirrors and move off the roundabout. RSA have a tv advert on this subject just out recently heres the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc6Kk6jYvQ8

hope this helps

entering the roundabout in the right lane and exiting left!

hi churchview, I only mention it's a dual c/way because of the volume of traffic, and as you point out, people pick and choose which lane they want with no regard to any rules.

Murphy09 wrote: »
    nealry sure on a roundabout 1st exit you should take the left lane and indicate left on approach, 2nd exit take the left lane also but dont signal until you have gone past the exit before it, i.e the 1st exit, and for the 3rd or higher exit take the right hand lane then signal after the exit before the one you want to take, i.e indicate after the 2nd exit for the 3rd exit check your mirrors and move off the roundabout. RSA have a tv advert on this subject just out recently heres the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc6Kk6jYvQ8

hope this helps

Wrong!!!!

The video shows how to take a left, how to go straight and how to turn right. It's nothing to do with 1st, 2nd and 3rd. It merely uses a roundabout in that formation to demonstrate it.

Maybe this is a Troll and I've fallen for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

To me, that 2nd exit is a straight-through road (i.e. at 12 o'clock). I would therefore use the left-hand lane for that one.

Are there roadmarkings to the contrary? A lot of roadmarkings are right on top of the roundabout entrace making it easy to miss them.

churchview wrote: »
    Sorry Rocky, but would that same traffic not cut across you if you were in the other lane? It's just not relevant. The rule is left or straight, left lane. Right - right lane.

If you're in the right lane, they assume you go either 'straight' or right, so they won't normally cut across - of course there are alway exceptions.

But if you're in the left lane, they just don't care...

Edit: possibly because you have to take the long way around, so they think they have time ... AND if you take the long way round, it looks as if you're taking the first exit, because you follow the "normal shape of the round-a-bout" - that was a mouthful

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

churchview wrote: »
    The rule is left or straight, left lane. Right - right lane.

In fairness to rocky, the 2nd exit feels a bit after the straightahead, it's somewhat "right", and the rules aren't very clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Isn't there marking on Ballybane Rd as you approach the RB? I use that RB a lot but never from that way.

rocky wrote: »
    If you're in the right lane, they assume you go either 'straight' or right, so they won't normally cut across - of course there are alway exceptions.

But if you're in the left lane, they just don't care...

It's survival of the fittest on Galway Roundabouts! :) Good luck!

Magnus wrote: »
    Isn't there marking on Ballybane Rd as you approach the RB? I use that RB a lot but never from that way.

Will check for markings next time, although even if the markings show left and straight from left lane, the discomfort still remains while going through it..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I drive that roundabout every day, and the number of muppets driving on it is ridiculous. I wouldn't mind so much them being in the wrong lane, if they would only indicate either a) that they are continuing round the roundabout, or b) that they are taking the next exit. Thats the main problem at that roundabout.
    WRT to your question OP, its slightly more than 12 o'clock, and most people use the right hand lane to go that way, but technically I would say either lane is correct - 2nd exit but more than 180 degrees.
    BTW, the 1st exit is not a dual carriageway, its a 4 lane single carriageway, and shouldn't matter in this case.

The amount of people I've seen on the outside lane of that roundabout doing a full circle or more... not funny.

It feels safer to be on the right lane...

Just checked, there are only 'yield' markings on the 2 lanes.

Advertisement