Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childrens ear piercing

Options
  • 28-09-2009 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭

My daughter had her ears pierced 6 months ago - we followed the after care bathing the ear each night in the solution provided - but they still haven't healed - we went back to the piercer who recommend savlon cream every second night.
    When i removed the ear ring there is like a puss - have you any suggestions please - I really don't want to have to take them out.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭joeduggan

yeah. in future, dont be getting your future babies ears pierced at such a young age.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Take them out and have her get them pierced in a reputable piercing place when she is old enough.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

joeduggan wrote: »
    yeah. in future, dont be getting your future babies ears pierced at such a young age.

Yeah very helpful advice that whether you agree with the child having its ears pierced or not :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Op I wouldnt recommend Savlon for piercings at all.The general concensus around here is Sea salt baths but with a baby(if it is a baby--you dont say the age in your post) its probably going to be hard to get them to stay still for long enough.

I `d try a Cotton Ball soaked in the sea salt mix held on the ear as long as the child can stay easy for twice a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Also, there was no mention of the childs age, so please refrain from jumping on the OP!

If you follow Hellrazers advice that should do the trick, so long as you got it done with decent quality jewellery, and not the usual crap that places that Claires gives people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

if your child is a baby they should heal up pretty quick with regular sea salt bathing..
    if your child is above the age of two then they are probably touching and rubbing the earings when you are not looking, there is not much you can do about this apart from trying to make sure their hands stay clean..
    generally babies under two accept the jewellery as part of them and don't touch is but over this age they become more aware...

hope it heals up ok for you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

traceybere wrote: »
    My daughter had her ears pierced 6 months ago

Im thinkin thats where the confusion came from, also the fact that he is doing all the aftercare and asking the questions would suggest that his child is too young to do it herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Kitty k

Try putting in a ring instead of a stud sometimes if the jewellry is too tight the piercing cant heal properly and make sure its good quality jewellry and then wash the area with a mild soap like Dove and just pat them dry after. Its quite an easy area to heal try and keep hair and hands away. I wouldnt bother with the savlon a mild warm salt solution is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

My daughter is 6 years old - we went to a good jewellers and bought white gold earrings - while they were not the cheapest the jeweller said they were less likely to get infected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Long post ahead!

A trained jeweller is not the same as a trained piercer, though a trained piercer probably wouldn't have pierced your daughter in the first place so there's not much that can be done about that...

You say that there's pus coming out of the piercing- is it actual pus, a greenish manky liquid with a smell? Is the piercing red, hot, swollen and very painful? Does she have a temperature? If it's genuinely pussing then it could be an actual infection in which case you should take your daughter to the doctor to get antibiotics or another suitable treatment.

If it's a clear/yellowish liquid drying to a crust accompanied by redness then it's probably just irritated. Get rid of the solution the jeweller gave you, you don't need it, ditch the Savlon as well. Get some sea salt and mix about a quarter teaspoon to 1 pint of boiled water, cooled to a comfortable temperature (It should taste like tears). If you can, get your daughter to sit still long enough to submerge her ear in a cup of it for up to ten minutes. If that's not an option seeing as she's fairly young, you can soak cotton wool pads in the sea salt solution and press them gently against the piercing, replacing each pad with a fresh one as it cools. This shouldn't hurt and it should soften up any crust enough to wipe it away gently and let the piercing breathe. Try and do this twice a day until it's healed. Don't touch the piercing unless you're cleaning it and don't rotate the jewellery even if the jeweller who pierced it said you should.

Check the length of the jewellery- is it too tight? Is the back getting embedded in the ear? If this is happening (and it happens a lot with the crappy starter jewellery people are given when they get their lobes gunned) then you may want to take your daughter to a qualified piercer to see if they'd be willing to swap the jewellery for something more conductive to healing- though I'm not sure how likely it is that a piercer will assist an underaged child with a piercing, it's worth a try. Don't try and change the jewellery yourself while it's still irritated.

I don't really use soap on healing piercings myself but if you want to, Carex anti bacterial soap is the one that my piercer recommended to me, use a small amount in the shower or bath once a day, once the crusties have been softened. Don't use one with a scent, don't overuse the soap, and make sure all the residue/suds are washed away.

I would consider bringing your daughter to a qualified piercer to let him or her take a look and maybe change the jewellery to titanium and recommend some suitable aftercare methods (though I'm not sure how possible this is, considering that your daughter is very underage- a decent piercer would probably be willing to help you out). If you post your location the people here could probably recommend a good studio in your area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

Thanks for this useful info Gauge - out of interest how young is underage? The jeweller said t was over 3 years - we waited till she was 6

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

With regards to piercings, anyone under the age of 18 is considered underage. Sometimes a piercer will pierce 16 and 17 year olds if they have parental consent and only want earlobes pierced.

Getting a 6 year old pierced in a jewellers is a totally different topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I don't think ther's anything in law on the subject though? There are jewellers that'll do babies as young as 6 months! Tracey I'm sure by the time she reached 6 she had ya hounded to get them done :)

I had my ears gun pierced loads of times when I was a kid, and it's not ideal but I don;t think it's the worst. Soem people will have an allergic reaction to the cheap jewellery, but most will be fine. The worst I had was when the earring was put in to tight, and my lobe swelled almost completely enclosing the jewellery, oww!

Good detailed advice there from Gauge, just make sure the jewellery isn't too tight, keep it clean per instructions, and try to keep mucky hands from touchin it cos we know what kids are like! ;)

Gauge wrote: »
    Carex anti bacterial soap... Don't use one with a scent

Great advice from Gauge! :)

Just out of curiosity, I've never seen unscented Carex soap, where do you pick this up? It's usually just the standard Carex Anti-Bacterial liquid soap that I get and use on my tattoos, but it's the blue coloured one, which has a pleasant enough scent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

You're right Damo, I thought the blue one was unscented but it probably isn't- I think it's the one most people go for anyway, as opposed to the aloe/lavender/etc scented ones that are available!

Ah cool, thought I was maybe missing out on the unscented one! Thanks for clearing that up! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

dearg lady wrote: »
    I don't think ther's anything in law on the subject though? There are jewellers that'll do babies as young as 6 months! Tracey I'm sure by the time she reached 6 she had ya hounded to get them done :)

you are right dearg lady, it is quite normal for very young girls (and even some boys) to be pierced with a gun in the ear lobe and while it is not ideal we are not all walking around with partial ear lobes having lost them to gangreene..

i myself had mine done first at three months, granted i was in the middle east and it was the doctor that did them....

Advertisement