Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing and Road tax.

Options
  • 28-09-2009 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

I was of the impression that when importing a car from Uk , the cheaper tax only applied to post 08 cars. However a friend tells me that if I import say an 06 bmw 520 that the tax on that car will be less than the corresponding 06 here. Can anyone clarify if this is true please ?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭rocky

It's false.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

If a car was registered anywhere in the world before 08 then when importing it you will pay tax based on the old engine sized cc based tax bands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

The VRT is likely to be at a cheaper rate as it will be emissions based. Road tax will be old system.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

shawnee wrote: »
    I was of the impression that when importing a car from Uk , the cheaper tax only applied to post 08 cars. However a friend tells me that if I import say an 06 bmw 520 that the tax on that car will be less than the corresponding 06 here. Can anyone clarify if this is true please ?:confused:

its false, you will pay VRT on CO2 emmissions and Road Tax on CC.
    so in your example, you will 100% pay 614euro road tax per annum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Thanks too all, great site to get something like that clarified.

• Advertisement
Advertisement