Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Servicing

Options
  • 28-09-2009 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Have my car in for a service at the moment. Just wondering what is a usually hourly charge for a garage to fit parts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

I would have thought the locigal thing to do was to ask when getting the service priced up?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭lobber

I would have thought the locigal thing to do was to ask when getting the service priced up?

Asking is one thing, getting a straight answer is another!!!
    given price of 100 for service, 90 for parts and 140 for the labour.

Queried the cost of labour and how long it would take and was only told it would be ready for me this evening!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If they won't even provide you with an estimate of the time required, then I wouldn't give them the business.

As for rates, it depends on location and type of garage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

lobber wrote: »
    Asking is one thing, getting a straight answer is another!!!
    given price of 100 for service, 90 for parts and 140 for the labour.

That doesn't make sense - are you getting extra work done on top of the service?

Why would you drop something in without knowing a definite price? Anytime I've had work done on my cars I ask the price first and it's usually within a couple of euro's of that

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭lobber

EPM wrote: »
    That doesn't make sense - are you getting extra work done on top of the service?

Why would you drop something in without knowing a definite price? Anytime I've had work done on my cars I ask the price first and it's usually within a couple of euro's of that

Dropped the car in early this morning and was told the service is generally around €100. I gave them a list of things that needed to be looked at and to ring me before going ahead, which they did. two of the items need to be done asap (rear window water pump & solenoid in boot). the parts for these are €90. When I asked what the total for service and the two extra items I was told €330.

Like i said I queried the €140 for labour and was met with ambiguity

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Alz®

Was this a main dealer you went too ??

I have worked in both independant and main dealers and found the work and experience 10 times better in the independant garage...

Less over heads = less labour charges etc

Advertisement