Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

in work and car is dead... please help

Options
  • 28-09-2009 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    im driving a bora tdi 2002, on the way to work the car battery light flashed on the dashboard and then the electrics went and it lost all power but still got me to work. Just parked her up and tried to start her but nothing happened... completely dead. Im presuming a new battery is needed but im up in dundalk and drive from dublin every day...
    any recomendations or diagnosis on what it could be ? thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

It could be your alternator has packed up or the connection from it has come loose hence no charge.

Was there any difference in your steering, if your steering got heavier the belt has come off. It is unusual for a battery to die on the road, so I would be looking at the alternator or the belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

yeah it was the alternator alright... Advanced pitstop have the car at the moment having checked the battery earlier. Anyoone an idea what i'll be looking at to get the alternato re-calibrated as i dont want to be getting ripped off...
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭patrickc

you should be able to get it reconditioned for under 200, think we paid 160 last year to get it done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

just been quoted 330 for alternator and new battery as they say the battery is banjaxed, and the labour... wasn't expecting that much tbh but alas what other option do i have?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

Is 330 for a new one? If so you could fix the older one they usually never give problems again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Alz®

Robbing b*stards...

Its a simple job to do, remove the altenator, have a auto electrician repair whats needed and re fit the altenator, and yes replace the battery if its goosed...

If you ever notice your battery light on the dash instrument turn off radio, window dimester fan, lights (if its not dark) and pull into the safest place possible because the battery will end up dying in the end as the altenators job is to charge the battery and once it fails it needs to be repaired...

I had to get 2 done for friends and family recently and were only charged €120 to repair & labour costs...

I wouldnt give my car into a tyre centre to repair my car in the first place there no-more mechanics than tea makers IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Toyota_Avensis

Just jump start it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Alz®

Just jump start it
    If you ever notice your battery light on the dash instrument turn off radio, window dimester fan, lights (if its not dark) and pull into the safest place possible because the battery will end up dying in the end as the altenators job is to charge the battery and once it fails it needs to be repaired...

Hence me saying this because, simply once your altenator fails even jump starting a car wont get you a mile down the road, your battery will in most cases kick the bucket within 5 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Op did they mention what specifically went wrong? As others have said it may be an easy(ish) fix or it *could* have been something like a cable coming loose or the battery terminal breaking. The latter happened to an ex's car.

Just food for thought. Perhaps get a 2nd opinion?

edit:
    A car battery can be brought back to life if jumped. I've left the lights on in my car over a weekend and came back to a flat battery. Jumped it and it started up. Still runs perfect.

Advertisement