Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Coonian Ghost

Options
  • 28-09-2009 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

anyone been to this place in fermanagh? little run down cottage suppose to be alot of strange things happen here, and well documintated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Hey where could one find information on it? Sounds interesting.Ill google it but links are handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I'm familiar with it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/yourplaceandmine/fermanagh/A799022.shtml
    The Coonian Ghost
    In 1913, Widow Murphy, her son and five daughters, lived in a mountain cottage near Brookborough, Co Fermanagh.

Ghosts & Superstition
    Their lives were plagued by a poltergeist that appeared determined to evict them from the house. Many other people witnessed the amazing events that occurred. One such visitor was the MP, Cahir Healy, and another was Father Coyle from Maguiresbridge. Rapping was heard both during the night and day. One source says these rappings were sometimes to the rhythm of tunes. A couple of "its" favourites were "Boyne Water" and "The Soldiers Song".

Empty bed
    Mysterious shapes appeared and disappeared and music would waft across the room. Father Coyle described seeing clothes rising and falling on an empty bed as if someone was underneath breathing. Pots and pans would suddenly fly across the kitchen.

Flee
    Eventually the family were forced to flee not just because of the unsettling happenings in their home but also driven out and ostracised by superstitious neighbours. The family took the boat for America but even then, to their horror, the poltergeist continued its terrible deeds in their cabin on board and even followed them to their new home in the United States. Eventually, after many years, its manifestations subsided and the family was able to rest and get on with their lives. It is said that the "Coonian Ghost" is the best-recorded and authenticated ghost in Irish History.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭bubbles747

i just seen some photos of the place and thought it looked interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

To the investigation mobile!

scooby3mysterymachine.jpg

No seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭TechFreak

Here's a pic of it.Looks inviting

3934090698_fd8700f5e5.jpg

• Advertisement

that photo dosnt look just like the ones ive seen? maybe its from a diffrent angle, ive seen the ones took inside too.

Do you have a link to the internal photos plz ?

im sorry tech i dont the photos were shown to me by a friend

bubbles747 wrote: »
    im sorry tech i dont the photos were shown to me by a friend

Thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

TechFreak wrote: »
    Here's a pic of it.Looks inviting

3934090698_fd8700f5e5.jpg

Looks cute and harmless enough to me. How old is it? Looks like something built in the 19th century.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Grimes wrote: »
    To the investigation mobile!

scooby3mysterymachine.jpg

No seriously.

Wat about this..

124702685_3945a88b32.jpg:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

6th wrote: »

going by that it looks more like the 'poltergiest' was linked to the family and not the place

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

Looks cute and harmless enough to me. How old is it? Looks like something built in the 19th century.

thats what IT wants you to think ;).. thought it looked abit freaky myself

Advertisement