Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Timber finished ceilings

• 27-09-2009 11:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Done a quick search but can't immediately find any previous threads on this. Would anybody be able to advise me on how to go about installing a timber finished ceiling. i seen them in a friends house and must say they are fantastic looking compared to my rough uneven skimmed ceilings. I'm a small bit slow at times but assume the skimmed ceiling boards would be taken off and the new timber ceiling is then nailed on?

Also if anyone knew where a good place to get pre-finished timber ceilig boards in Limerick/ Kerry area it would be an added bonus.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance provided.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

if u dont have coving mite be easier to nail battens to the existing ceiling at regualar intervals (say 12 - 18 inches) and at 90 degrees to the direction you want your finished ceiling to run. will be less messy and no insulation to deal with. and just nail and glue your timber straight to this. you will need to try and fix the battens to your ceiling rafters for a secure fixing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Many thanks Mazgthespark. Your input is very much appreciated. What you are saying makes sense. I will probably attempt a bathroom first which is small and if it goes well I will continue. Do you know if there is any easy way of determining where the rafters are or is this guesswork?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

its guesswork im afraid to a certain extent but once you find 2/3 can work from there. usually 14 - 18 inches apart. if u can gain access to the rafters from above can mark each side of one or 2 rafters with a small drill bit down through the ceiling. then measure the distance between them and can mark them then. if can only access part of them can measure them then transfer measurements to the other end of the room by measuring off the room wall. then would possibly chalk line there location to know exactly where they are. u may find a different way to do it also and may seem like a lot of planning but will make installing battens and timber easier if u can see all the rafter locations. hope that all makes sense :)

Advertisement