Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do Dubliners...

Options
  • 27-09-2009 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭

Only choose Dublin universities or ITs? I've never heard of a Dub going to UCC, NUIG or dare I say UL. I understand it'd be more convenient to get a place in Dublin but for things like medicine where there are more places to apply the UCD or TCD why don't Dubs even consider another place outside their native city? Is it all a matter of convenience or just fear of us bog junkies? Or is it a prestige thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

would you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

jumpguy wrote: »
    Only choose Dublin universities or ITs? I've never heard of a Dub going to UCC, NUIG or dare I say UL. I understand it'd be more convenient to get a place in Dublin but for things like medicine where there are more places to apply the UCD or TCD why don't Dubs even consider another place outside their native city? Is it all a matter of convenience or just fear of us bog junkies? Or is it a prestige thing?

they are afraid to leave home:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

im from Dublin and i went to LIT.

Only because i did sh.it in my leaving though.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭damienricefan

I know three people from Dublin and they're in NUIG, UCC and UL this year so boo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Overature wrote: »
    would you?
    Hmm I dunno, I'd love the chance to live alone and being independent, instead of always living with the parents into my early 20's. Perhaps if I was in Dublin I'd consider UCAS.

Then again, in my context I live in a boggerhole, meet the same people day in and day out, so I suppose my will to leave the place would be more understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭sean0

I'm from Dublin and I never really gave a second thought about going to uni in a different county apart from NUI Maynooth.
    Just my friends are all here, free accomadation, I like the city and big choice of colleges so personally I don't really have a reason to look at colleges outside of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Because I cant afford to move out. Student loans are just a pile of wánk in this country, and frankly I dont want to cost my parents any more than I have to/already have. I have two jobs but even with them I couldnt move out and survive!

Because there is no need to move out (Frankly there are Unis that are just as good, if not better, up here.).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Fad wrote: »
    Because I cant afford to move out. Student loans are just a pile of wánk in this country, and frankly I dont want to cost my parents any more than I have to/already have. I have two jobs but even with them I couldnt move out and survive!

Because there is no need to move out (Frankly there are Unis that are just as good, if not better, up here.).

+1

It's just difficult to get the money together to pay for accommodation and the like when you could just live at home.

Sure because I live in the North side suburbs even the UCD commute would have been difficult at 2 hours each way a day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 SwordsRed

jumpguy wrote: »
    Im from Dublin and im at GMIT.
    I suppose its rare enough but to be fair its more conveniant to stay at home when there are some top colleges there. Plus its not exactly cheap to move away from home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

probably for the same reason all the boggers come up to |Dublin daaaaww! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

There is a guy from Dublin in my house in UL...
    I wish he stayed in Dublin!*

*yes, I know that is a sweeping generalisation, but if you knew the guy, you'd agree

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RexMundi

Perhaps because all the best Irish universities are in Dublin. The only reason for a Dubliner to go to a country university is if they fail to get into any Dublin one. I mean which University is of a higher quality? UCD or UCC? TCD of UL? There really is little comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I couldn't leave the city!
    There are a lot of good courses in Dublin :rolleyes: There's buzzing night life, family and friends are here and theres always something to do.
    If the course i want is in Dublin and limerick i don't really see the point in moving to Limerick if i can stay in Dublin unless my course isnt available in Dublin or i don't get the points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

RexMundi wrote: »
    Perhaps because all the best Irish universities are in Dublin. The only reason for a Dubliner to go to a country university is if they fail to get into any Dublin one. I mean which University is of a higher quality? UCD or UCC? TCD of UL? There really is little comparison.

Trinners for winners eh?:P

Advertisement