Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I absolutely goddam hate...

Options
  • 27-09-2009 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

My site is ranking fine for all search terms except specific phrases like:

"my business type" in "my county/town"

The first page in google is always dominated by those stupid, stupid and stupid "directories."

I wish google would ban them, or at least rank them lower than individual business sites.

Am I going to have to resort to AdWords? Do people even click on those?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RedCardinal

Have you tried adding "my business type" + "my county/town" to your homepage?

Usually local results like these are the very easiest to rank for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭D.W

MrBill wrote: »
    My site is ranking fine for all search terms except specific phrases like:

"my business type" in "my county/town"

The first page in google is always dominated by those stupid, stupid and stupid "directories."

I wish google would ban them, or at least rank them lower than individual business sites.

Am I going to have to resort to AdWords? Do people even click on those?

MrBill-if you want to PM me the site and the local phrases you are frustrated at I'll have a look at it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 MrBill

Have you tried adding "my business type" + "my county/town" to your homepage?

Usually local results like these are the very easiest to rank for.

I have it in my title, kind of in my domain name, on my homepage in regular text and "h" text. Get's me ahead of all the competitors but I just can't beat the 5 or 6 directories that take up all the front page space.

Thanks for the offers of help, but I'd rather not reveal the actual site. It's not my business so I wouldn't want the owner to know what a hack-job it is. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RedCardinal

If they are free directories then try getting links from the pages that are ranking. Or even submit the site to some of the Irish directories using the anchor text "my business type" + "my county/town".

There's a list of Irish directories over on irishwebmasterforum.com somewhere.

Advertisement