Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do i need a passport to travel?

Options
  • 27-09-2009 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

I've heard that you don't legally need a passport to travel.You will just have to supply other forms of identity at the airport.
    Is this true?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

It all depends on the country you're travelling to, and the airline's own rules. In theory you don't need a passport to enter the UK from Ireland, but some airlines only accept passports.

I can't think of anywhere other than the UK that doesn't require a passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

I guess that answers that.
    So uk only and anywhere else you need one.
    Sound lads.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I guess that answers that.
    So uk only and anywhere else you need one.
    Sound lads.

UK only- and only if you're not flying. Ryanair and Aerlingus both insist on passports for flying to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭lynchie

smccarrick wrote: »
    UK only- and only if you're not flying. Ryanair and Aerlingus both insist on passports for flying to the UK.

Aer Lingus does NOT insist on using a passport for travel between Ireland and the UK for Irish and UK citizens. You can travel with drivers licence and several other forms of identification. BMI also allow you to travel without a passport too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

Very good lads.
    I have no passport at the moment so this info came in handy.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

As of October (I think, not sure of the exact date) Ryanair will no longer accept driving license as a form of ID. They will now only accept passports and government-issued national identity cards.

TBH - the only document that's guaranted to allow you travel anywhere is a passport. Anything else is a risk.

Advertisement