Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Externalist Buddhism

Options
  • 27-09-2009 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

I'm currently reading The Art of Living, which mentions Deviant and Externalist Buddhism as the forth type of Buddhism in society today.
    The forth type of Buddhism we see in our world today is the deviant and externalist Buddhism. This is an extremely unfortunate distortion , which only came to e in the last thirty or forty years. Religious Buddhism persuades people to be decent and philosophical Buddhism pursues truth, neither cause much harm to society. However, If Buddhism is changed into a deviant and externalist path, using the weakness of human nature to cheat and harm living beings, disturbing the peace and safety of society, then this conversion has gone too far. The speech and actions of these deviant and external paths can be very attractive and enticing. One should be very careful as not to be misled by these deviant ways or regretting it would be too late.

Can anyone expand on this? I have never come across this type of Buddhism before. Do any of you have any examples or have you seen this before?

Thanks,
    [-0-].

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

beware of the dark side. Anger, fear, aggression; the dark side are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

I haven't specifically seen it myself, but I know there are various 'Buddhist' groups out there that have attracted a LOT of negativity. I can't comment on the validity of any claims so I won't name them directly but they are more modery offshoots, that charge a fair bit for 'membership' and do preach a sort of pseudo Buddhist materialistic ideology. Many also disagree with HH the Dali Lama for his political activity, for some comments he has made and for his views on certain topics. Some detractors have been VERY vocal in their comments 'Nazi war criminal etc.' so it's very hard to know what specifically he is referring to.

I guess any Buddhist group that promises too much is a bad start, and any that agressively condemn other groups must also be looked at. My own rule is if they are charging a lot of money it's usually bad news tbh. I will ALWAYS contribute but paying high fees for 'Buddhism' seems a little... off to me.

Advertisement