Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alfa electrics problem

Options
  • 27-09-2009 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

Basically the 10 amp fuse that has the reverse lights, 2 interior lights and the switched power supply for the radio blows every time I brake. The brake lights are on a different fuse so I cant understand whats going on. Another clue might be that once it blew and an ABS failure came up on the infocenter but that only happened once and went straight away leaving no warning lights on or any more messages.

Its getting very annoying now so if anyone has any suggestions before I go to the auto electrician Id appreciate it. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

i cant help but when i had my alfa i found the guys in http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/ very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Been there! In fairness its a dirty thing to diagnose on a forum just hoping someone might have come across it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭anon11

Could be a faulty brake light switch i know these give problems causing abs vcds failure:)

Where is this located?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

gpf101 wrote: »
    Been there! In fairness its a dirty thing to diagnose on a forum just hoping someone might have come across it before.

a dirty thing:confused: why??

forums are there to help are they not??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭anon11

Just over the brake pedal.

fryup wrote: »
    a dirty thing:confused: why??

forums are there to help are they not??

Its probably the sort of thing that needs hands on but hopefully I might get a few ideas anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭kyote00

it may be that some part of the 10amp circuit is being shorted (physically) when you press the brake pedal...

Does it have the standard radio/stereo in it or an aftermarket one ? If its an aftermarket installation then I'd check all those connections for loose or frayed connections...

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

the link between the two circuits you mention would be one of the tail lights i.e. Reverse and stop lights.
    try disconnecting one of the tail tight clusters and see how that goes. If that fuse blows try the other one.

Interesting. The reverse lights are in a different cluster to the brake lights so should I try disconnecting the 4 lights individually and see if one is to blame?

• Advertisement

Sorted! Finally I think I have it. The mechanical action of pressing the brake pedal was causing it to rub off the bunch of wires running close to it. It had sheared off the cover and the insulation around one wire presumably causing a short when the metal from the brake pedal came in contact with it. A few rounds of insulating tape and it seems perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭kyote00

do I get a prize :D
    kyote00 wrote: »
    it may be that some part of the 10amp circuit is being shorted (physically) when you press the brake pedal...

Does it have the standard radio/stereo in it or an aftermarket one ? If its an aftermarket installation then I'd check all those connections for loose or frayed connections...

Excellent, I'll pop the prize in the post first thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

Shows what I know about electrics :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Shows what I know about electrics :-)

Like it says in the charter:
    * This is a public forum used by people with no idea what they are talking about.

Thanks for the input lads. Saved myself 100 quid with the auto electrician anyway!

Advertisement