Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AN Triail translation please

Options
  • 26-09-2009 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

:rolleyes: Hi, Just wondering if its possible to get the english translation of An Triail, the drama. Its on the honours Irish paper.
    I'm going back to Honours Irish after 21 years, just started last week and have to do it all in a year!!:rolleyes:
    An help with this would be greatly appreciated,
    Tks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

Not that I know of.

Just use a dictionary :p
    Buy one of those books of notes-they simplify what you actually need to know. The most important things to know are the characters, the general storyline and the theme of hypocritical Irish society in the 1950's/60's...Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

Hi there :D

Basically An Triail is based on the Magdaline sisters (don't know whether you've heard about them).

It is about a young girl that gets pregnant by her school teacher who she thinks she is in love with etc. He lies to her etc etc.

Her mother is a religious women, but not a good christian - ie. she cares more about the opinion of other than her own daughter.

The mother wants Máire to become a nun, one of her sons to become a priest and the other to become a farmer.

When Máire gets pregnant she runs away, she is loyal to her teacher/lover by never mentioning who he is. She runs away and finds work in a B&B type place where the women treats her badly.

She is then turned over by this women to the social workers who more or less force her to go into this convent type place where she must work until she has the baby and then she must give the baby up for adoption.

She makes friends with people in this convent such as prostitutes who may not be religious but are more christian. Eventually she has the baby and refuses to give it up.

She works in a factory cleaning and lives with one of the girls from the convent.

She meets the teacher years later only to discover he lied to her the whole time and she realises that he never loved her at all.

Because of this she ends up killing herself and the baby.

The court case of this is then presented to us throughout the story and you just see that anyone that gives evidence says 'I'm not to blame'. However, she never tells anyone who got her pregnant and he never admits it either.

That's basically the story but you really need to read it because questions come up on the significance of minor charachters aswell as the major ones so it's a pain in the rear!!

Hope this helps:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Jogtipp

hi just to say thanks a million for the detailed reply from mary on the drama, also aine marie on the tip on the dictonary! Its all very daunting at the moment trying to get the course completed in a year, but If I put the head down I'll get there in the end. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

Jogtipp wrote: »
    hi just to say thanks a million for the detailed reply from mary on the drama, also aine marie on the tip on the dictonary! Its all very daunting at the moment trying to get the course completed in a year, but If I put the head down I'll get there in the end. :D

No bother!http://www.foinsevideos.com/ <<<---- has some good sample videos of the oral, possible questions you'll be asked etc. Good Luck!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

Here are the questions you should focus on:

Comparing the characters of Máire and her mother Bean Uí Chathasaigh.

How Bean Uí Chatahasaigh contributed to the story and Máire and the babies death.

Comment on her family (her mother- how religious she was, Seán- who was to be a preist and Liam- comment on how it is mostly Liams fault as he didn mind her at the dance)

Pádraig- how he was a sweet talkers, well able to go, only out for himself, discuss how he says to Máire his wife wasn a real wife to him as she was sick, how he made her promise never to tell anyone about them, how she met him again towards the end of the story, he was partly to blame for her death.

Máire and her struggles- from being treated like a slave at home and her hardship of her mother (trying to give her "deoch leighis" a sherry to abaort the baby), how she was thrown out of her family, he struggles through the job with Bean UI Laoire, in the convent, when she came out with the baby- she lied to get a job by saying she was a widow, how her life fell apart when the she thought the baby was injured and would never leave her side, what happened after she met Padraig again.

Mailí- an straiapach (the prostitute)- how she was a kind friend to Máire, never let her down, always had the patients to explain to her about life in the laundry the adoption process (an chúras altrammas), how she met Máire and gave her a new lease of life again (providing a home for her and safety), how she found Máire when she died.

The positive impact that - Bean Uí Laoire, Bainisteoir na monarchan, Seánín an Mhótair, Mailí and an Oibrí sósialta had on Máire's life.

How everyone tried to escape the blame (milleáin).

Once you get good notes on the characters you will be able to answer all the questions as they are all character based and each question leaks into another. If you have any problem gettin notes or questions pm me, Im an Irish teacher and will only to be happy to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Jogtipp

thsnk you for reply on 28/9, its very detailed also. I have printed it off and put in my An Trial folder for referring to, when I begin to read it. I did get a book today -> An Triail, Cabhair agus Cunamh. It breaks it all down in what looks like easy reading ? :confused:

Thank you all for your help, as i have completed second week of course, it somwhow doesnt seem as daunting. I'm basically immersing myself in Irish, with the hope of it rubbing off !.....

Advertisement