Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to go from here?

Options
  • 26-09-2009 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Just looking for some advice here.

I've always been keen on certain types of jazz, but recently I've wanted to explore it in more depth.

In particular, I'm quite fond of Jaco Pastorius, Herbie Hancock, and some of the Charles Mingus stuff I've heard.

So, taking the above artists as a starting point, could anyone recommend me some good albums?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭Rigsby

IMO, Jaco was at his best when he was in "Weather Report". Check out any of their albums with him on it. One of my favourites is "Heavy Weather". Under his own name "Word of Mouth" and "Holiday for Pans" are worth checking out.

A Mingus "must have" would be "Mingus Ah Um". Others worth a look (listen !) are "Mingus at Antibes" and "The Black Saint And the Sinner Lady" (dont know who thinks up the titles :D ). In general you cant go far wrong with Mingus' out put.

Be careful when choosing a Herbie Hancock album. In the early 80's he leaned towards funk/disco. People are divided on this stuff. Personally I dont like it. Some of my favourites in the jazz realm are "Maiden Voyage", "Head Hunters" "Empyrean Isles", "The Complete Blue Note 60's Sessions" and "Fat Albert Rotunda".

A good idea might be to look up these artists on You Tube, make a note of the ones you like, then look for the albums containing these tracks.

Happy listening. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Gussie Finknott

This is what you need mate.

Paquita D'Rivera-Manhatton Burn
    Brecker Brothers-Out of the Loop
    John McLaughlin-Live in Paris
    Jazz Pistols-Live

Try to have a listen to these 4 cd's,Play aloud and often

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

wrote:
    IMO, Jaco was at his best when he was in "Weather Report". Check out any of their albums with him on it. One of my favourites is "Heavy Weather". Under his own name "Word of Mouth" and "Holiday for Pans" are worth checking out.

A Mingus "must have" would be "Mingus Ah Um". Others worth a look (listen !) are "Mingus at Antibes" and "The Black Saint And the Sinner Lady" (dont know who thinks up the titles :D ). In general you cant go far wrong with Mingus' out put.

Be careful when choosing a Herbie Hancock album. In the early 80's he leaned towards funk/disco. People are divided on this stuff. Personally I dont like it. Some of my favourites in the jazz realm are "Maiden Voyage", "Head Hunters" "Empyrean Isles", "The Complete Blue Note 60's Sessions" and "Fat Albert Rotunda".

A good idea might be to look up these artists on You Tube, make a note of the ones you like, then look for the albums containing these tracks.

Happy listening. :)

Great, thanks! Have got Jaco's debut, and Word of Mouth, will def check out Weather Report.

I accidentally discovered Herbie Hancock's disco phase not long ago. Wasn't blown away, but I love the more experimental stuff I've heard, like Sextant.

I'll give the rest of your recommendations a look too.

This is what you need mate.

Paquita D'Rivera-Manhatton Burn
    Brecker Brothers-Out of the Loop
    John McLaughlin-Live in Paris
    Jazz Pistols-Live

Try to have a listen to these 4 cd's,Play aloud and often

Cool, I'll check these out as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Gussie Finknott

Weather Report 8-30 live.Spend your dosh on this one,Probably the best live jazz album ever recorded.Jaco at his very best

Advertisement