Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem with xbox and network

Options
  • 26-09-2009 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

I've got eircom broadband with a netopia 2247 router and a GSW-2401 24port gigabit router. I've been trying to get six xbox 360's online at the same time but everytime I try do it after the third one is logged on the rest always have problems connecting and says the network isnt automatically issuing an ip address but if I disconnect one another is able to get on. I also tried on system link and I cant get any of them to connect up.
    I've now got all 360s going through the GSW-2401 and the router connected to this, all pcs and everything else are also going through the GSW-2401. Any advice would be appreciated. Oh and one last point I doubt has any bairing because some are connecting I'm using opendns.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭accensi0n

deceit wrote: »
    I've got eircom broadband with a netopia 2247 router and a GSW-2401 24port gigabit router. I've been trying to get six xbox 360's online at the same time but everytime I try do it after the third one is logged on the rest always have problems connecting and says the network isnt automatically issuing an ip address but if I disconnect one another is able to get on. I also tried on system link and I cant get any of them to connect up.
    I've now got all 360s going through the GSW-2401 and the router connected to this, all pcs and everything else are also going through the GSW-2401. Any advice would be appreciated. Oh and one last point I doubt has any bairing because some are connecting I'm using opendns.

Has the dhcp pool been changed so that only 3 address are handed out?..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

no it hasnt been changed.

I should have mentioned I can have more than 10 pcs working fine all connected to the internet. I've turned all off and didnt make any difference. It is only the 360's that are having the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

You need to open some ports and NAT them to the IP of the 360.
    http://www.paraesthesia.com/archive/2007/12/29/xbox-360-nat-configuration.aspx

portforward.com has the dteails on specific routers and you can look up your model there for NAT.Best thing to do is let your router assign an IP to the 360and then write that down. Go into your router and find the NAT area and forward the ports below to that static IP.
    •UDP 88
    •UDP 3074
    •TCP 3074

Only problem with that is if the IP address of the 360 changes you need to update the NAT entries. I have tried making the IP on the 360 static but it wont work for me.

kmick wrote: »
    You need to open some ports and NAT them to the IP of the 360.
    http://www.paraesthesia.com/archive/2007/12/29/xbox-360-nat-configuration.aspx

portforward.com has the dteails on specific routers and you can look up your model there for NAT.Best thing to do is let your router assign an IP to the 360and then write that down. Go into your router and find the NAT area and forward the ports below to that static IP.
    •UDP 88
    •UDP 3074
    •TCP 3074

Only problem with that is if the IP address of the 360 changes you need to update the NAT entries. I have tried making the IP on the 360 static but it wont work for me.
    Thanks for the advice but dont think will work as its not a problem with connecting with live as 3 of them can do it at once its only when i try log a fourth 360 on it messes up.

• Advertisement

no one anymore advice on this? Just noticed I stated the GSW-2401 24port gigabit was a router, was meant to type switch. Really annoying that cant play lan games :(. If i add another router and put in addresses for the 360's 10.0.0.3-9, subnet mask 255.0.0.0 and put as the default gateway 255.255.255.0 would this possibly work as would seperate the lan from wan as at the moment the switch is connecting everything straight to the router/modem. If i'm making no sense my apologies as my networking knowledge is very limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

"default gateway 255.255.255.0 "
    is definitely wrong.if your router is giving out local IP's of 10.0.0.3-9, it should prob be 10.0.0.1

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    "default gateway 255.255.255.0 "
    is definitely wrong.if your router is giving out local IP's of 10.0.0.3-9, it should prob be 10.0.0.1

Thanks for your help, will try see does it wok. I've been trying to set up two sub networks, one on the netopia modem on subnet 255.255.255.0 and the other on the linksys wrt54gr and switch on 255.0.0.0 as to hopefully seperate the lan traffic from the 360s with the live traffic. I put it as 255.255.255.0 for the default gateway on the linksys as taught would say where the other subnet was.

Advertisement