Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bait Digging Article in Northside People (Vol.22 No. 38, 23 Sept - 29 Sept 09)

Options
  • 26-09-2009 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

I can't find the article online, but the jist of it is that there's too much bait being dug at North Bull Island.

In particular, the article mentions "...reports of large groups getting ferries over from the UK to dig for bait...", and "This process is happening on a commercial basis where larger organised groups have come to dig for bait, sometimes using machinery"

The emphasis on the article seems to be on conservation and sustainability - quotas and permits are mentioned, and of course this is what needs to be focussed on, but I'm enraged about the cheek of these UK guys.

I'm no racist, nor am I particularly interested in political friction, and I certainly don't want to stir crap, but what a f*!king cheek! Such audacity . . .

Mark

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ruru

there was an article in the sunday times about 2 weeks ago, nothing about uk diggers tho, they want to limit all diggers to 20 bait per person:eek: to save the ragworm for the birds :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jim from Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

I regularly see Eastern Europeans digging at Clontarf/Bull Island all hours of night and day. Van load of them there on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

God, is nothing safe from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 in sanity

Some of them F.N's are likely to be digging commercially, tackle shop baits have to be dug somewhere.

Cant believe it would be finacially viable to be driving over from UK to dig bait, plenty of digging ground around north wales.

I dig up there myself a good bit, and never seen too many digging, maybe 4 or 5 lads, never more than 10 !!!

I reckon the article is a bit alarmist and over the top to be honest, if they cant enforce fishing quotas for bass, illegal netting etc, what hope have they of policing a digging limit

• Advertisement
Advertisement