Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm sure it's been asked before but...

Options
  • 26-09-2009 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

I've tried to search for other threads on this topic but couldn't find them.

I have a simple website (html/css). I used to find out who had visited from the server log on filezilla. This stopped being updated about a week ago.:confused:

I don't know too much about computers and such. Can anybody recommend a simple method/program for basically finding out who is visiting my site, etc.

thanks,

Bill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Contact your web hosting company, this is really something they can only help you with. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 MrBill

Totally not helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

google analytics is good.
    www.google.com/analytics/
    its pretty straight forward to install

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

MrBill wrote: »
    Totally not helpful.
    The reply was totally, like, helpful.
    We cannot fix the issue for you - your hosting company can.

daymobrew wrote: »
    The reply was totally, like, helpful.
    We cannot fix the issue for you - your hosting company can.

:rolleyes:

I meant contacting the hosting company is, like, totally not helpful.

• Advertisement

skelliser wrote: »
    google analytics is good.
    www.google.com/analytics/
    its pretty straight forward to install

Thanks for that. Installed so now I just sit and wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

MrBill wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

I meant contacting the hosting company is, like, totally not helpful.
    Why didn't you say that?
    What did they say when you reported the issue?

Well I called and it was just some kid talking to me in webmaster gibberish. I don't really know much about that stuff.

Google Analytics worked for about an hour and then it stopped. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭whizgremlin

Hi MrBill,

Lol @ the kid ....

Here is the answer to your problem - Statcounter gives you real time results of who has visited your website, from where, what country and their referring URL. You basically sign up, copy the code they give you and put it anywhere on ur index.html page i.e. your homepage of ur site, save the changes and sit back and you'll see who's been visiting!

Link: http://www.statcounter.com/

Hope this helps you out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

There is no shame in saying you don't understand. No point wasting your time calling if your only going to "uh huh" your way through the call and be as clueless at the end of it as you are when starting.

• Advertisement

Right, seems like GA is updating once a day and that should be good enough for me.

How detailed can you get with google analytics concerning your visitors? Is the number of visits from each town/city the best you can do?

Is it possible to get IP info and which parts of town (like where in Dublin) or would you have to use a different method?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Is it possible to get IP info and which parts of town (like where in Dublin) or would you have to use a different method?

Yes you can. All you have to do it click on the visitor's Ip and it will tell you exactly where the person is. Right down to the number of the house.
    It will also show you a list of open ports just incase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

You can also look at something like Woopra which gives realtime stats

Advertisement