Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Private Parternships - Success or Failure

Options
  • 26-09-2009 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi guys,

I'm doing a college project at the moment on Public Private Partnerships in Ireland. I'm using this as a starting point to see what peoples views are on the whole thing. Was it a success? Was it a waste of time and money? Did it help/not help Ireland on its way to having a good Infrastructure etc.? Do you think there will be long term benifits/ill effects from Public Private Partnerships?

I have my own answers to these questions but would like to hear some other views!!

Thanks lads!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Irish Economy

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

Was it a success? Was it a waste of time and money? ....Do you think there will be long term benifits/ill effects from Public Private Partnerships?
    Weren't these used to build the mostly empty 'decentralisation' offices?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Weren't these used to build the mostly empty 'decentralisation' offices?

and the motorways (complete with toll charges - we all know how they turned out)

OP... I think theres a lot of bitterness at the moment for the wastage of public funds so most people will claim that public-private partnerships were a failure.

From the private side of things - the people that invested money could consider it a fantastic success - they got more than what they put into it back.... the government could also put spin on it and claim that without the private funds these projects wouldnt have been completed and we wouldnt have a motorway that stretches almost the width of the country.

However, in my opinion, the general public would regard them as a waste - as we have not only part funded the projects with taxes/stealth taxes ....but also through tolls, if the government had taken the projects on themselves and taken on a massive debt in order to finish the projects - they would have earned a lot more money which could have resulted in lots of other projects getting the green light....and more government ministers flashing the cash !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

well they were completed on time or early compared to the other projects weren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

How much did the westlink bridge end up costing?

NTR walked away with how much?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

Insn't there something about OPW getting tangled in PPPs when it was flogging off assets in Dublin to pay for the construction of new offices and relocation of people into FF-controlled constituencies that instead of just selling the Dublin properties, they signed up into PPPs to redevelop them?

Also, are some of these PPPs tangled in NAMA?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

Not sure about NAMA - time will tell, I guess.

I'd also associate these PPPs with Mary Harney's crusade to get co-located hospital projects off the ground.

I've no major contribution to this debate although it does fascinate me.
    Without knowing much detail on the overall success or failure of these ventures I see them politically as being something that the PDs notably tried to champion during the latter part of their political demise.

-Ian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Hi guys,

I'm doing a college project at the moment on Public Private Partnerships in Ireland. I'm using this as a starting point to see what peoples views are on the whole thing. Was it a success? Was it a waste of time and money? Did it help/not help Ireland on its way to having a good Infrastructure etc.? Do you think there will be long term benifits/ill effects from Public Private Partnerships?

I have my own answers to these questions but would like to hear some other views!!

Thanks lads!:D

ask the guys who run the m50 racket :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

ask the guys who run the m50 racket

Oh ei.sdraob,to which you could add....."and those who are going to run the M3 racket "

:eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭GER12

PPP's from NTR - government overpaid in buyout.... schools yet to be provided.... two inner city developments developer pulls out cos no longer money in it.... and then selling off public hospital sites to private hospitals which by all accounts and reports is also in serious difficulty.

Look into experience of PPP's in the UK also.... another angle is responsibilities of state vs. market.

• Advertisement
Advertisement