Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business-answering questions

Options
  • 26-09-2009 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭

Do the questions actually have to be perfect? By this I mean exactly as they are in the book, otherwise you receive a big fat zero marks wise:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No of course they don't have to be perfect.
    Have a look at the Marking Schemes to see what they are looking for.
    Ordinary Level Business 2009
    Higher Level Business 2009

Have a look at the most recent Chief Examiner's Report for Business (2005). It gives the Chief Examiner's opinions on what questions tended to be better answered than others and points out common errors.

Make sure to READ THE QUESTION, particularly if you intend 'learning off' answers. You may well have a lovely answer, but if it does not answer the question asked it will get no marks. From anecdotal evidence, there would seem to be a clamping down on the learned off essay answers this year in many subjetcs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

spurious wrote: »
    No of course they don't have to be perfect.
    Have a look at the Marking Schemes to see what they are looking for.
    Ordinary Level Business 2009
    Higher Level Business 2009

Have a look at the most recent Chief Examiner's Report for Business (2005). It gives the Chief Examiner's opinions on what questions tended to be better answered than others and points out common errors.

Make sure to READ THE QUESTION, particularly if you intend 'learning off' answers. You may well have a lovely answer, but if it does not answer the question asked it will get no marks. From anecdotal evidence, there would seem to be a clamping down on the learned off essay answers this year in many subjetcs.
    I had a read through the links thanks, and I see your point. But a number of my teachers said the exact words "you must have a perfect answer", so I'm bit confused as to how to go about studying:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

theowen wrote: »
    a number of my teachers said the exact words "you must have a perfect answer", so I'm bit confused as to how to go about studying:o

Maybe they were talking about definitions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 wowiee

When answering business questions your should always
    1. name
    2. explain
    3. give an example

If the question is worth 20 marks then give 5 different points on the subject. The examiner may only require 4 points at 5 marks each but best to be safe.

Also business is a really long exam and if you know your stuff and have loads to write it can be difficult to finish on time so you should always write in bullet points as it will stop you from repeating yourself over and over again. The examiner will also appricate bullet points as it makes your exam so much easier to correct rather then spending hours shifting through reams of essays trying to find points. A happy examiner is always more willing to give marks out.

Really try to focus on defintions when studying because even if you dont know much on a topic you'll get a load of marks for defining it alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Ah, musta been the definitions they were refering to, thanks guys:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement