Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2x01 "Vows" (US) - [**Spoilers**]

Options
  • 26-09-2009 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭

For any newbies, please note that discussions here are at US pace and will not be spoiler tagged in thread - the show airs Friday nights on FOX, so from Saturday early mornings, expect discussion of the current episode.

So, on to to season 2: :)

TV.com summary:
    Echo is sent to become involved with a British businessman who is connected to one of Ballard's open FBI cases. Meanwhile Dr. Saunders has to deal with her anger towards Topher.

http://www.tv.com/dollhouse/vows/episode/1280445/summary.html?tag=prev_episode;title

Looking forward to watching this later and see how it stacks up against the second (and much better) half of season 1. Hopefully the show will find more of an audience this year and not be on the brink of cancellation again...

Richard, I know you already posted in last year's main "Dollhouse" thread but isn't part of the point of a dedicated subforum that we can have individual episode threads (plus, we kind of need a new season thread at this stage anyway) instead?

So how did the season 2 premiere of "Dollhouse" stack up? 14 votes

House of awesome.
    0% 0 votes
    House of love.
    0% 0 votes
    House of meh.
    28% 4 votes
    House of pain.
    64% 9 votes
    House of crap.
    7% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I liked it, but didn't love it. Some interesting setup for the series to come. Loved what they did with Whiskey, that can only end badly.

Whats the story with Jamie Bamber doing his best James Callis impression? If you closed your eyes it could have been Gaius Baltar (I know Bamber is British too, but the likeness was uncanny). :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Not a great episode. There was much too much going on and some of the stuff was rushed through. How long would Echo have had to been involved with Bamber to have them be getting married? And wouldn't he have wondered about where all her family and friends are? It was all just too :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

It was all very meh and I really only enjoyed the Whiskey/Topher stuff.
    If you look at Buffy/Angel stuff though, all those season openers were pretty lame in comparison to later on in the season.
    I don't see the ratings doing great if it continues like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

That was a very poor episode. I was hoping for much more from this season, especially with the cast they're lining up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Agree with everyone, pretty average overall though anything to do with Whiskey was pretty good (seeds of the future relationship with Boyd were apparent too) - too bad Amy Acker is going to be in only a handful of episodes this season.

But again, if Joss can build the season up, then a slow opener isn't that bad really. Though I can't see the show gaining any viewers on the back of this, so what that will mean around renewal time is to be seen...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It wasn't great.

Enjoyed seeing Bamber being a bad guy.
    Some future storylines hinted at but not very exciting on the whole.

The stunt double rolling out of the car at the end was one of the worst lookalikes i've seen. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Twas meh overall....anyone got ratings?

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/09/26/tv-ratings-dollhouse-brothers-bomb-on-fox-cbs-wins-night/28502

Not great at all: Dollhouse averaged 2.56 million and a 1.0/3 adults 18-49 rating.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/09/26/tv-ratings-dollhouse-brothers-bomb-on-fox-cbs-wins-night/28502

Not great at all: Dollhouse averaged 2.56 million and a 1.0/3 adults 18-49 rating.

Ya its not inspiring and I'm afraid to say the promo for next weeks episode looks shockingly awful.

I did like the whiskey/topher story and its good to see what ballard and echo are starting to get up too.

I'm surprised with joss's editing for this one tbh, he surely knew the fans didn't want much more of this active of the week craic.

I wanna see more viktor too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Online reviews

http://scifiwire.com/2009/09/dollhouse-death-watch-rat.php

"Dollhouse Least watched new show on a major network"
    "worst episode of shows history"

lets just hope the yanks didnt know it had started back up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

How can people just blindly follow this show? After the 'worst episode of the shows history', and there has been some pretty shocking episodes, people are still worried about the ratings and hoping it continues.

I really don't get it.

Bring back Mellie!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

S.M.B. wrote: »
    How can people just blindly follow this show? After the 'worst episode of the shows history', and there has been some pretty shocking episodes, people are still worried about the ratings and hoping it continues.

I really don't get it.

Well there weren't that many episodes in season 1, with about half of them reasonably good - with definite improvements in the second half. It's all down to hope - The show has potential. There's a lot of crappy stuff on at the moment that meanders around going nowhere, just churning out episode after episode.
    They really need to tighten up the writing here. If it continues like this, it doesn't deserve to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,904 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The second half of season 1 was excellent and I was hoping they'd keep up the pace. There's lots of potential there.

This episode was just like last season's pilot though. Some interesting stuff in the Dollhouse itself but the main plot with Jamie Bamber was just boring and pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

The worst thing about Dollhouse and there are alot of bad things about Dollhouse is the music that they use. Fecking chick rock rubbish really puts me off.

The 2nd worst is Dushku. By far the least interesting character on the show and an awful actress. Sweet bewbs cant keep me engaged all the time I need some substance.

The whole concept of this show was flawed from the start IMO. Cant see it getting a 3rd series and might not see out its 2nd.

Wheadon really needs to better from here on...or it's toast!

Yep, I definitely can't see FOX (or the viewers) putting up with another half a season of crap before it picks up - it really has to pick up the pace now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Wheadon really needs to better from here on...or it's toast!

Lets face it, it's already toast... much as it saddens me because the show has a lot of pontential, that's wasted most of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

One episode and its toast? Jeez, what a bucket of joy you guys are :rolleyes:

I see it doing nothing but picking up, and good old Alexis playing the senator :D His natural accent sounds so weird, so used to him using a British one :D

nix wrote: »
    One episode and its toast? Jeez, what a bucket of joy you guys are :rolleyes:

It's not 1 episode - this isn't the 1st season any more. The problem is that last season it took 6 episodes to get going at all. It simply can't afford that luxury this year - I'm pretty sure FOX has an itchy cancel finger already. It needed to hit the ground running and starting with such a weak premiere is simply not good. Personally, I'd like to see it last but it's not doing itself any favors here.

• Advertisement

And you can't say that Fox hasn't given it fair chance too.

It's a bad sign when people are still going on about 'potential' as it moves into the second episode of the second season. I don't even see this potential, to me it's a poor enough concept to begin which hasn't been executed at all that well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

J-blk wrote: »
    It's not 1 episode - this isn't the 1st season any more. The problem is that last season it took 6 episodes to get going at all. It simply can't afford that luxury this year - I'm pretty sure FOX has an itchy cancel finger already. It needed to hit the ground running and starting with such a weak premiere is simply not good. Personally, I'd like to see it last but it's not doing itself any favors here.

Its one episode since he last made everybody eat their words and show their is a bigger picture/story. All shows have their weak episodes to some, you can't please everybody.

I actually enjoyed last nights episode, granted there was a few blank spaces, like how long Dushku was working that marriage case, perhaps it was ment to be like that for a flash back episode? :P

Who knows? I'm patient enough to give it longer to materialise a good story, as it did last season, even though Joss had to keep going with possible cancelation threats.

But meh, condemn all you want :D

Its one episode since he last made everybody eat their words and show their is a bigger picture/story. All shows have their weak episodes to some, you can't please everybody.

I actually enjoyed last nights episode, granted there was a few blank spaces, like how long Dushku was working that marriage case, perhaps it was ment to be like that for a flash back episode? :P

Who knows? I'm patient enough to give it longer to materialise a good story, as it did last season, even though Joss had to keep going with possible cancelation threats.

But meh, condemn all you want :D
    He certainly didn't make me eat any of my words. Dollhouse at it's best is still being remarkably average in my opinion.

Its one episode since he last made everybody eat their words and show their is a bigger picture/story.

If the episode you are referring to is "Epitaph One", you're forgetting that only the fans really saw that one - from iTunes, the DVD boxset or "other" sources and not the "precious" to FOX, Nielsen families. So ultimately, though it was the strongest episode so far, it hardly helps the show survive.

And like I've said, I like the show and I do want it to survive. I think most posters here do, otherwise, why even bother watching/posting about it? But for the show to survive, it has to really be very good consistently and early on (if it is to gain any viewers this year, the faithful will hang on till cancellation anyway). And the premiere didn't do any of that...

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Fence

I quite enjoyed Vows. Wasn't blown away by it, not at all, but it certainly had some great moments. I think the so-called FBI case was supposed to have been on the go since season 1 ended, so I guess it was a quick trip to the alter but I'm not going to moan about that too much.

I really enjoyed the Whiskey bits, I'd sorta prefer her storyline to take centre stage. It isn't going to happen of course. But her and Boyd have a lot more of my interest than Echo & Paul. And the Whiskey and Topher scenes were just great.

Advertisement