Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel & Tourism?

Options
  • 25-09-2009 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hello, Im new to this board so please bare with me!!:o

I have a great interest in The Travel Industry & i know it covers a very large area.
    I am interested in doing some study with the hope of working in the trade when things pick up.

I would like to work in either a travel Agency or Hotel Reservations/ Reception but I don't have a clue where to begin.

Ideally home study would suit me best at the moment but am open to suggestions.

Can anyone advise me please?

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

A lot of travel industry jobs only require basic qualifications - experience is the main factor.

What are your qualifications at the minute? Have you tried looking for hotel reception work at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 LyonsTea

Hello

Thank You for your reply.

I have not looked for any hotel jobs at all .

I have computer skills, The ECDL and I have worked with the public on and off for years.

I was contemplating asking some of the Travel Agents if I could do some unpaid work experience with them, and like wise with some hotels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

That's a good first step.

Hotel reception work is relatively easy to get in to, so see what you can do there.

Travel agency work is a little more difficult, particularly with things the way they are. Still, might be an idea to send some CVs in, see what they're looking for, and then you can make your educational choices from there.

The problem with travel agencies is that they either use their own software that you learn on the job, or they use one of the many distribution systems, such as Amadeus, Sabre, Galileo (to name a few). There are online courses available to teach you how to use these, though what they look for most is experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 LyonsTea

Thank you

I have checked out a few distance learning programmes and Amadeus, Sabre, & Galileo are all there but they are coming in or around 400 euro to do each one of them. There is also another course which is with The IAOT and covers a lot of aspects needed to work in Reservation Departments or Travel agents, its a certificate and costs about 595 euro, I just dont want to spend money and find out it was a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jay core

LyonsTea wrote: »
    Thank you

I have checked out a few distance learning programmes and Amadeus, Sabre, & Galileo are all there but they are coming in or around 400 euro to do each one of them. There is also another course which is with The IAOT and covers a lot of aspects needed to work in Reservation Departments or Travel agents, its a certificate and costs about 595 euro, I just dont want to spend money and find out it was a waste of time.

Hi, Just wondering how did you get on with his, I,m thinking of do one of these courses, , did you do any of them, did it lead to a job?

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement